Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,777   Online: 1054

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format

SRT 101 and XD-11

I recently bought an Xd-11, SRT 101 and SRT 202 from KEH. Each was in "as is needs seals untested" condition. Wein makes a enviornmentally friendly battery for the SRT series for about $5. A reseal kit specifically for these cameras is $10. I bought these cameras for $30, $7 and $11. There still are batteries vor the Xd-11. I put the batteries into the cameras and the meters sprank to life. I tested the meters against readings from my Sekonic 318b handheld meter and from my Minolta Flash Meter III all readings were spot on. Put some Fujicolor 200 into the camera's and fired off a roll after resealing each of them with a kit supplied by Interslice AKA Jon Goodman. The pictures were fine. If you can find an XD-11 go with it. I own 2 of them and they are my favorite. The SRT's are built like tanks and they weigh as much. Houever they are easy to use. I like the 202 because it has a built in flash contact on the prisim.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the three same cameras and I have nothing but good to say about them
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    35mm
    My first choice would be the XD-11.
    Followed by a 102 m /MLU
    And then a 202.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have or have had the XD11, several SR-Ts (including my current SR-T 102), XE-1 and 7, and prefer the XD11. In fact the XD11 is one of my very favorite manual focus cameras. If I could have only one Minolta camera, it would be the XD11.

Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    First I would say to get both as both have pros and cons. I have both of them and personally I would pick the SRt-101 as I have tweak its shutter speed and is very accurate. I don't care for the meter in the 101 though. Even when new and with the correct kind of battery I don't think it's very accurate. I shoot the 101 sans meter as I don't really need a meter. If you do want a meter the meter in the XD-11 is far superior to that of the SRt-101.

Shooter
    35mm
    Another vote for XE-7, it is simply the 2nd most luxurious 35mm SLR ever made, right behind the Leica R3 which is the same camera, but with spot metering and an even brighter viewfinder.

XD-11 would be a very close second. imo. They are very nice and are also extremely luxurious as they too were designed for shared Minolta/Leica duty (Leica R4). There is just something magical in the feel of the XE-7 that the XD-11 cannot quite match. My guess is the CLS shutter, which just has to be felt to be believed.

SRTs are also wonderful, and while the batteries are no longer legal, the cameras have work-arounds or can easily be re-calibrated to the voltage of modern silver oxide or alkaline equivalents.

I own a fairly extensive manual focus collection (not to mention digital). My Leica R6 is my go-to camera simply because I like the Leica R glass slightly better than the MC Rokkor glass and the camera is newer can still be serviced by Leica. The R6 is also very small (same chassis as XD-11) and light. For my Minolta gear, my XE-7 is in like-new condition and sees very little use as I don't want any brassing or other wear as it is absolutely pristine. I have a Minolta X-570 for use when I want light weight and don't care about ruining my gear, such as motorcycle touring. When weight isn't a problem I take either my Leica R3 MOT or Minolta SRT200 (meter calibrated to silver oxide).

All of them are very nice, and of the mainstream brands (Leica R cameras are cheap now, but the lenses remain outrageous) Minoltas are by far my favorites. I never liked the XG series or the X-300/500/700 series all that much, but those later X models are extremely cheap and easy to service, not to mention they handle very well. They are a bit plasticky, which is really my only complaint.

Given the choice of XD-11 and SRT101 for a first Minolta, I'd go for the SRT. That SRT200, by the way, was my very first camera back in 1978.

Shooter
    35mm
    You have struck a raw nerve here: I have dozens of each. I part with none.

I guess my first impulse would be to get the SRT. Why? Future reliability is the main reason. The electronic body is excellent but can (usually does NOT, however) die suddenly, without warning. On the other hand, the SRT simply cannot die unless it gives woeful warnings and pleas for mercy many moons in advance. On the other hand, let's face it, the electronic shutter is more accurate, (but so what, it probably will not make a difference).

Thus, I am on the side of the SRT, but only by a tiny margin. Love them both. And you can use a standard button battery in lieu of the 625. The meter adjustment will be slight. - David Lyga

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin