Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,051   Posts: 1,561,189   Online: 930

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Minolta XD-11 vs Minolta SRT 101, which one to get?

Can somebody tell me pros and cons on both? I can not make my mind. I located both in perfect shape, but cannot decide.
    Help!!!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've had both. The 60s SRT 101 is mechanical, tough, but also very long in the tooth and takes no longer available PX625 batteries. The XD11 is a late 70s model with a dead-quiet electronically controlled shutter and a LED meter display instead of the SRT's match needle readout. My only problem with the XD-11 is its 30+ year-old electronics--a sometimes failure-prone part of Minolta's last MF film cameras. I'm partial to the mechanical SRT which can still be found in quite good shape for very little $.

Lots of info here:

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know that the SRT 101 is a true classic.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had an XD-5 and it was a beautiful camera. I also have an old SRT. The XD won't work with a dead battery while the SRT will work. Why not get both? Use the SRT as a back up

Shooter
    35mm
    I have both XD-11 and SRT-102 as well as most other Minolta MF models. From a practical point of view, if I have to choose one between the two as my only camera, I would go with XD-11 for its quiet shutter, nice metering system, bright viewfinder, multi-auto mode, accurate and durable vertical electronic shutter, common battery type, etc. Some would say that SRT would be better in cold weather, but I have used XD-11 with a fresh pair of batteries in -20 C for a few hours and had no problem. There are many practical reasons to choose XD-11 over SRT, BUT SRT is a beauty in itself and it feels great when you hold it, which is why I got two SRT-102 and a SRT-202 in my closet as well. :-) At the end of the day, you have decide for yourself based on what you plan to use it for and why you get into these old cameras in the first place.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,

I have both cameras - they are the basis of my film photography kit.

My SRT-102 is a rock-solid example of what was going on in the camera world in the 60-70s. It is heavy and very well built. I have had it CLAd a couple of times over its long lifespan. It works flawlessly and its meter is very accurate, within the EV range of a CdS-type photocell. I use a C.R.I.S. battery adapter with a silver-oxide cell. I tend to use the SRT with larger lenses and with the MC Rokkor-X 100mm macro lens, usually with a tripod. The MLU feature is nice when doing macrophotography. There are a lot of resources for having the camera repaired or adjusted, and service is usually quite reasonable. Lots of spare parts are available as Minolta made a lot of SRTs - plenty of carcasses to scavenge from.

The XD-11 is an absolute jewel. To me, it exemplifies the height of progression of MF 35mm film cameras. It feels great in the hand, all the controls are right where they should be, it is light for an all-metal camera and has a very good silicon photocell. The acute-matte viewfinder is terrific. It uses a modern lithium battery. I use it for 90% of my film photography. It is an electronic camera for the most part, and the electronics are getting old. I have never had any mechanical or electrical problems with my XD-11, but the potential, I suppose, is there, and there aren't nearly as many resources for getting the camera repaired as there are for the SRTs. Parts are scarce.

Both cameras get you into the great Rokkor lenses but to use all the features of the XD the later MD lenses work best. I have noticed that prices are climbing for Minolta glass recently, probably because they can be used on digital cameras with a Micro 4/3 sensor.

If this is your first foray into film cameras, I think the SRT-102 may be the best choice. It's a great fully manual camera, and the prices are pretty reasonable. It can be CLAd for under a hundred bucks and will likely outlast the average photographer! The XD-11 might be a camera to progress to at some point, but keep in mind that nice ones command fairly high prices. As another post mentioned - why not get both? I find that mine complement each other very well.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a SRT-201 for sale here (shameless plug). But if I had to choose between xd-11 and SRT, I'd go with the XD-11.

I think the XE-7 was probably the most rugged Minolta (ignoring the XK which is very hard to find). I think the XD-11 is the most capable. It's biggest drawback is that the leather shrinks, which is totally cosmetic.

The XE-5 and XD-5 were somewhat less featured models, but still quite capable.
    Last edited by mgb74; 04-27-2011 at 08:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    35mm
    I have an SRT 101 that my father bought in 1968 that still is in perfect shape and a few months ago I bought a black SRT 201 as a back up. I had a XD-11 for about 3 months before it stopped working. While I appreciate what an electronic camera can do I prefer a mechanical for reliability.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just want to throw in that I just started using my XG-1 model and couldn't be happier with it! I love the rokkor lenses - they are gorgeous!

Shooter
    35mm
    It depends on where you plan on buying it from, if playing ebay roulette I would buy the SRT because its less likely to have hidden problems. All you need to know about the SRT is if the meter works.
    If you are set on an XD-11 buy one from KEH.

I've either owned or used at least one of every series that was in the Minolta line up.
    The XD -11 is the one I pick up first.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin