Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,782   Online: 846

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Question about Leica Cameras...

I have decided to purchase a rangefinder and I'm almost certain that it will be a Leica, but I'm not sure about what model to get.

III G, M2, M3, M6,Etc.

I could use some opinions on the pros/cons of the different models.

Thanks!

Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Check out the new Leica MP.
    Francesco

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If the money is there, go M. MP is classic, M7 is decent too. M6's are a current good deal, cost-wise.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks guys...

Looking at some M6's on ebay I see that there are different "viewfinder's".
    0.58 0.72 0.85

What's the difference?

Thanks again,

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Jim

You really need to tell us...,

a) Do you wear glasses?
    b) What lenses are you intending to get?
    c) Do you want a built in lightmeter?
    d) Your budget?

You appear to have decided you want a Leica R/F camera; which one/s have you handled and what do you like about them/it?

Julian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could you tell us more about your preferences, what is important to you?

Do you want TTL metering? AE operation? How likely are you to be using the 75 Summilux, 90 Summicron or 50 Noctilux? How likely are you to want to use the wider lenses?

Some random-ish thoughts:

Screw mount lenses can be used on bayonet bodies, but not the other way round.

The later M6s, the M6TTL, the M7 and the MP are available with choices of viewfinder magnification.

All but the earliest M7s and all MPs have slightly better viewfinders than the M6s, but upgrades are possible.

The sensitivity of the meter improved during the lifetime of the M6 classic, and improved further with the M6TTL. The M7 and MP continued at that level of sensitivity.

The M5, CL, M6, M7 and MP all have TTL metering for continuous light. The M6TTL and M7 also have TTL flash metering. The M7 also has auto exposure. The CLE only has metering in auto exposure, it can be operated in manual, but without metering.

The M7 and CLE are battery dependent because of electronic shutter timing/operation, but the M7 has two mechanical speeds. In auto exposure the M7 shutter is continuously variable.

The M3 viewfinder is probably the best of the bunch for use with a 50 mm lens.

There's a new limited edition M2 coming out with an authentic 1950s bakelite and snakeskin body with chrome trim. Or maybe not.

'Canadian lenses have mouse droppings in them.' OR 'They are every bit as good as German-made lenses.' Pick your own opinion.

The list goes on...

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian Hart
    Hi Jim

You really need to tell us...,

a) Do you wear glasses?
    b) What lenses are you intending to get?
    c) Do you want a built in lightmeter?
    d) Your budget?

You appear to have decided you want a Leica R/F camera; which one/s have you handled and what do you like about them/it?

Julian
    Julian,

a) Yes... Contacts
    b) Wide to Normal
    c) Not Necessary
    d) Around $2,000

I have not had the pleasure to handle/play around with any (yet). I have decided that I would like to add a R/F to my "camera bag" and chose Leica because of its reputation.

Thanks!

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Do you want TTL metering? AE operation? How likely are you to be using the 75 Summilux, 90 Summicron or 50 Noctilux? How likely are you to want to use the wider lenses?
    Helen,

TTL Metering or AE is not necessary. I'm thinking wide to normal for lenses, but it would be nice to be able to use a 90mm.

Thanks!

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    a) Yes... Contacts
    b) Wide to Normal
    c) Not Necessary
    d) Around $2,000

The M2 then?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jim

Ok, in your situation I would go for an M4P or M6 "classic" which have the 0.72x viewfinder. Generally, the 0.85x viewfinder is intended for fast or longer lenses, the 0.58x for wide angle users.

This M4P is identical to the M6 "classic" except without the lightmeter.

With contacts you will easily be able to see the 28mm frame in this viewfinder, and will provide good (though not absolutely ideal) magnification for focussing a slower 90mm lens.

Some (non glasses wearing) users use the outside edge of the 0.72x viewfinder to provide a frame for the 24mm lens but this will give you no parallax correction and is not too accurate.

Helen has already given you a great outline of the features of each of the models, so I shall not repeat.

I recommend you go and play with the camera before you buy. I for one find that the R/F camera does not suit me for most of my work, although I have owned an M6 "classic" in the past and still own an M3!

Julian

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin