Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,989   Online: 1009

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I second the recommendation to read Fred Picker's "Zone VI Workshop."
    I also recommend Carson Graves' "The Zone System for 35mm Photographers." (Be careful - the edition I have has a misprint where it's listing f/stop - shutter speed combinations. I can't remember where the error is, though)

As for exposing for Zone III shadows, not all shadows are that dark. And also, you can expose for half or 1/3 zones too - Zone IV-1/2 for example.
    Last edited by Kisatchie; 05-08-2011 at 01:21 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is probably now apparent to the OP, but just in case it isn't ....

To me, the Zone System is a method used to determine the development of your film.

If you are not shooting individual sheets, or multiple film backs (N, N +1, N -1, etc.), or different bodies for different lighting contrasts than it really isn't the Zone system you are using.

I think the OP is really just trying to figure out how to best use a spot meter with roll film.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    This is probably now apparent to the OP, but just in case it isn't ....

To me, the Zone System is a method used to determine the development of your film.

If you are not shooting individual sheets, or multiple film backs (N, N +1, N -1, etc.), or different bodies for different lighting contrasts than it really isn't the Zone system you are using.

I think the OP is really just trying to figure out how to best use a spot meter with roll film.
    That is right, even if I cannnot use ZS for landscapes with roll-film I think it is still possible to use for portraits.

Since, I do not know whether it is good idea to put all my portraits in 18% gray ;-)

Nevertheless, a beginner like me will be fascinated by ZS.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Ralph. I also want to thank you for posting your ZS dial, it proved to be really helpful this past weekend.
    “I drank what?” - Socrates

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    ... Could you explain what steps up took in your example to make the very nice print. ...
    Waiting for a cloud requires clouds to be there. Using a dodging card only works with long exposure times. However, film has great latitude for overexposure, and that's why burning-in windows works well. It does require making a custom masks, but that's no problem. Attached is a sample mask from another picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PrintMask.jpg  
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Walnut Grove, MN USA (Laura Ingall Wilder's home)
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm a 35mm shooter, I've got Carson Graves book, and others. It is true that ZS works very well with sheet film and LF cameras. But the principles of ZS help the 35mm photographer visualize his final print. Should I happen to get ONE very good or important exposure on a roll, I will develop for that exposure. In 35mm the ZS maybe isn't so much about DESIGNING the exposure as it is PREDICTING the negative. In a LF picture you can do figuring and calculations for a long time, you can sketch, plan, and then execute. Typically the 35mm shooter is going much faster between exposures, and his or her visualization of the finished print is kind of like a Reader's Digest version. That's why we bracket. But another product of learning ZS is that it increases your appreciation for THE PRINT, yours and other people's.
    "We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one'. We forget that we have still to make a study of 'and'."
    -A. S. Eddington

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    That is right, even if I cannnot use ZS for landscapes with roll-film ...
    Why not? Multiple 35mm bodies are cheap these days!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 35mmZoneSystem.jpg  
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Why not? Multiple 35mm bodies are cheap these days!
    :-) or may be [N-2, N-1, N, N+1, N+2] bracketing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    :-) or may be [N-2, N-1, N, N+1, N+2] bracketing.
    How do you bracket development? That's even harder in 35mm.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    How do you bracket development? That's even harder in 35mm.
    I think, I should come from digital mind set... ;-)

Now, the hunt is for a camera which takes sheet film and compact as 35mm SLR.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin