Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,764   Online: 858

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    thanks, Ann.

JK

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've checked this www.bromoil.com - their basic kit is for 200 USD. If I ordered it and my wife discovered the sum, that would be something... unpleasant. it would be safer to find something cheaper...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Juraj
    I have been on your website and I think that taking the photos you have and making then into Bromoils would be works of art. I find the Photos you have taken to be very pleasent to look at. Let me know if you tried to make a Bromoil. Small tip use photo paper that is thick enough to take the oil brush hitting the surface. If not the paper will rip on you. Plus keep the paper wet but not over wet. Start out wth just a little color on you brush and slowily hit the paper with the ink till the surface is completly covered with ink. Then work the oil into the paper hitting the surface over and over again till you get the effect you like. You can remove color to add high light to any area you want my using a gum eraser and making it wet. But wipe off the extra water. Then you can tuch the paper and rub off the color where you want to high light. Pick a gum eraser that can be shaped to a point. It is much easer to work with.
    Later
    Sir William

PS then let the photo dry for 2 or 3 days. You can alwas go back and make changes later. Just rewet the photo paper again. The dried color will stay you can onl darken areas that need darkening.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Many thanks, Sir William, for your encouraging words and process instructions. I will post when I will do something - now I'm looking for some basic kit cheaper that one from bromoil.com. But it looks there isn't a lot of other ways

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I didn't buy a kit. I just had a list of the tools (brushes, rollers, etc. ) and got them at various other stores rather than a photo store. Bought some ink at B&S.

Gene Laughter recommends a varitey of tools other than bromoil specific brushes and if you look at his work i don't think you can tell the difference between a 5 dollar paint brush or a 160 dollar bromoil brush.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think fotoimpex.de carries bromoil materials--probably cheaper and faster from Slovakia.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Juraj
    here is a basic list of some materials that you will need and that can be found at other places than photo stores;
    6 inch creamic tilies, brayer 2 inch hard, 4 inch form, kneadable eraser, saran wrap, paper towels, naptha to clean brushes and tiles. masking tape, palette knife, litho ink.large piece of heavy glass. brushes, stencil brushes can be used.

then you will need either a bleaching kit or mix your own; bleach is made up of copper sulfate (100grams i 1000 ml of distilled water; potassium bromide ( 100g in 1000ml of distilled water) potassium dichromate (10g in 1000 ml of distilled water). use 70ml of the 10 % of copper and bromide with 30ml of the dichromate along with 830ml of distilled water. this will tan about 8 X 10's.

you can use Afga 118, Ilford matte paper or Luninos charcoal paper rather than bromoil paper. Or, kentmere
    Use a weak paper developer and over expose about 1 fstop, be sure to use a non-hardening fixer. let the print dry. when you bleach, soak the print for about 5 minutes bleach, wash and re-fix in plain hypo or a non-hardening fixer. wash again, dry.
    then you are ready for the inking process.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thank Ann for long short list. I have got only ceramic tiles at this time :-) but I'm going to try look for other things. It looks I'm decided to try bromoil, you know that crawling on the skin and there is little or nothing I can do to avoid...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ok I have upload the Original and the Bromoil Photo. I took them out of the frame this time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    very interesting picture. yes, I'm convicted.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin