Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,054   Posts: 1,561,291   Online: 1206

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

AI/AIS Wide Angles..!!

Howdy!

So, I guess I'm in the market for a wide angle fixed lense and I'll only buy an AI or AIS nikon for now (I have many reasons that conspire towards this so, I'll limit myself to this family).
    It basically boils down to which one! 28mm, 24mm? Both f/2.8.
    I've resonantly come across the opportunity to buy an AI 28mm f/2 that seems to be in beautiful shape. Does anybody have any experience with this lense?
    The criterion I go for: is it sharp and constrasty? Barrel distortion is to be expected so, as long as it doesn't look like a fish eye I guess I'm happy.

And should I be considering a 20mm? I know it's up to taste but are there any thoughts and feelings about it? I tend to stay away from it for I feel like it's too much image to control and compose.. At least in the urban settings I'm frequently in..

ps:This is My first APUG post.. !

"Shooting in a FM2n.. What a joy!!"

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Start with the lens reviews at www.nikonlinks.com. Bjørn Rørslett's take on most lenses is fair and accurate.

Shooter
    35mm
    Great website! Thanks for the tip!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ambar

Welcome to APUG.

If you don't own a 35mm lens then the 28mm may be OK. To me, it's not wide-angle enough, so, I opted for a 24mm and a 20mm lens, and I'm happy with both if stopped down to f/5.6 or smaller.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    do you like 17-18mm focal length on a aps-c sensor digital slr? then you'll basically like the 24mm focal length.

I wanted width. the 24mm is nice. great walk around lense and good for some nature photography. I bought a Nikkor-N auto, and had it converted to AI for my FM2n

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Ralph!
    I don't own a 35mm.. All I've got for primes are a 50mm/1.4 and a 105mm/2.5. Absolutely LOVE them both. But I wanted a little wider angle for those shots that just don't fit in my 50mm (90% of my fotography is done through it). I think I'm leaning towards this 28mm f/2. A decent amount of what I shoot is done in poor or low light conditions so I think I'll benefit from the extra f-stop, as compare with the f/2.8 counterparts. This triple combo of 28,50,105 seems reasonable. If I decide for something wider I'll probably get the 20mm and if I decide I want something longer I'll get the 35mm. Does this sound reasonable or am I just going glass crazy? Sometimes I feel a bit drowned in option..

Shooter
    35mm
    Parkpy, I'll keep my eye out for a 24mm but I just might not let this 28mm go by unscathed by my anxious little hands!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Ambar

Welcome to APUG.

If you don't own a 35mm lens then the 28mm may be OK. To me, it's not wide-angle enough, so, I opted for a 24mm and a 20mm lens, and I'm happy with both if stopped down to f/5.6 or smaller.
    I am with Ralph on this. The 35mm is not wide enough and much too close to the 50mm lens. I use the 20mm [or 21mm] and 28mm but I would also find the 20mm [or 21mm] and 24mm combination a worthy contender.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Ambar;

In the wide angle lenses, the stable here has; 35mm, 28mm, 24mm, 20mm, and 17mm rectilinears, and a 16mm "full frame fisheye." That 16mm produces a full 24 by 36mm negative image and covers 180 degrees from one corner of the negative to the diagonally opposite corner.

I find the 28mm lens to be very much like a 35mm; point it and take the photograph when you have the framing and composition where you want it. The 24mm lens is the one I like to use for room interiors. It does require some careful attention to how it is positioned and used, or you can have some odd looking effects. The 20mm lenses and shorter all require very careful usage with attention to exactly how it is positioned and held to avoid weird effects.

As you have suggested, the best combination is having both of those lenses; the 28mm and the 24mm. Then you are covered for just about anything you are probably going to want to do.

The 21mm, 20mm, and shorter lenses are all special purpose lenses that require very careful usage. My 17mm lens has a reputation for its wide angle correction, to the point that many do include the term "rectilinear" in referring to it, but I have found that it still requires very careful work to make sure that the camera is level and that I am positioned in the optimum location to avoid weird effects.

Have fun with your camera, and with whichever of those two lenses you are using.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm
    I'll only buy an AI or AIS nikon for now (I have many reasons that conspire towards this so
    You are not alone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin