Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,706   Posts: 1,548,496   Online: 975

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

What are the specs of disposable cameras?

I've been wondering about disposable cameras recently. Does anyone know the configuration of the popular Quicksnap and Kodak one-time-use cameras?

I would like to know the lens focal length, f/stop and shutter speed. I guessing they are around 35mm, f/8, and 1/100th of a second or so. So that means that in the sun, they will be overexposing about 4-5 stops. Does this sound about right?

Does anyone have any preferences? I think that disposable cameras might be good for backpacking. They are extremely light and don't need batteries. Is there such a thing as a 'premium' disposable? Does anyone reuse them?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always send disposable cameras with my daughter when she goes to summer camp. I normally get a three pack, she shoots loads of things in the week she's gone. My other daughter likes the waterfroof ones for swimming. I think they make dandy take-alongs for back packing.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    About all I know is that they have 800 speed film in them, even the flash cameras.

If your going hiking you might want to look at a pocket point and shoot 35mm, you can get 4 or 5 rolls of film in the same space a disposable camera takes up. You can get one with zoom, flash, and some other wiz bang features for less than the price of two disposables.
    Last edited by bblhed; 05-12-2011 at 10:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There are some good tips on reloading disposable cameras on the internet, but honestly, I'd see about a good holga or something that's ment to be reloaded. As for film, as of right now, I'd really suggest packing in Portra 400, I've done some of my own test shots and you can easily underexpose/overexpose it and still get usable results.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertZeroK View Post
    There are some good tips on reloading disposable cameras on the internet, but honestly, I'd see about a good holga or something that's ment to be reloaded. As for film, as of right now, I'd really suggest packing in Portra 400, I've done some of my own test shots and you can easily underexpose/overexpose it and still get usable results.
    Good Holga?
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    Good Holga?
    Yeah, you know, one that closes and stays latched without tape!

Shooter
    35mm
    I had one of those disposable camers, threw it away and the pictures never came back.

Shooter
    35mm
    This is what they sell in the Japanese market. I've never used the camera itself, but I sometimes pick the film inside and use it; it's much cheaper than buying a 800 speed film.

Kodak Snapkids Flash 800
    Film: Kodak Ultramax 800
    Lens: f=30mm F10 / 2 elements 2 groups (aspherical)
    shutter speed: 1/100s

http://wwwjp.kodak.com/JP/ja/corp/ne...7/220807.shtml

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    I had one of those disposable camers, threw it away and the pictures never came back.
    Really? Our refuse collectors are quite good. They process the film, make prints and deliver them when returning the empty bin.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I worked at Kodak I found out that usually all the brands costs about the same amount of money but the Kodak disposable cameras had better lenses and hence better optics. I tried several disposables from two or three company taking the same photograph from each and all developed at one place at once. The Kodak disposable cameras did have noticably sharper prints.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin