Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,452   Online: 870

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Olympus 85mm f2.. play in focus ring?

I just received a Olympus 85mm f2. There appears to be a little bit of 'play' in the focus ring. It's not really loose, there is just less resistance for a short period when I turn it back and forth.

Hmm let me see if I can explain this.

Starting with the lens focussed at infinity, I turn the the focusing ring about half a turn and stop. Then I turn the ring the other direction. There is less resistance for about 1/2inch or 1 cm, then the normal resistance kicks in until it hits infinity again.

Is this normal? Should I return the lens?
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I presume that this is a used lens and might have been made years ago.

If so, itís likely that the helicoid lubricant is drying. The grease is probably thinner in the most used focusing range, but thicker elsewhere. That would account for the differential focusing resistance you observed.

As youíve described it, it wonít hurt anything. If you want to restore the normal continuous resistance that the lens had when new, then the lens must be disassembled, all of the original lubricant removed, and new lubricant of the correct type must be installed.

Unless itís a new lens this is not a defect, simply the effects of aging of the lubricant.

For most of us taking it apart, cleaning out the old lubricant, installing fresh lubricant and reassembling (the infinity focus must be re-indexed as a last step) is not a do-it-yourself project. Any competent camera repair service can do the job.

If this is a new lens then it should be returned to the seller.

Shooter
    35mm
    Old focus grease would have to be cleaned out and replaced with new lube. Old grease can separate and send oil out on the blades and glass surfaces. John

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin