Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,329   Online: 870

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does the B&W film have the REM backing, too?
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    Does the B&W film have the REM backing, too?
    Bw cine negative film has no REM backing.

Kodak only makes Eastman Double-X 5222 now having stopped production of Plus-X 5231.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thegman
    Sounds like excellent fun to try out those movie films. I've got no interest in bulk loading though, so if they could also provide a service in which they sold pre-made 135 canisters loaded with that film, I'd certainly buy some.
    Isn't that the old Seattle Film Works model?
    Michael Batchelor

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    MP film stock is not that much thicker than still film stock. However it is stiffer. The main difference is that only 30 exposures will fit in a cassette.
    I've not had any problems getting 36 (really more like 40!) exposures in standard reloadable cassettes.

Duncan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    A member here (who may wish to disclose themselves... cough, cough.....) has generously offered and given this film out to a few of us. I suggested that he charge money for it, but his good will proved to be too strong.

I agree though, that'd be nice.
    I'm still willing to send a few free ones out, though what I'd really prefer is to have the time to shoot some myself :-) I've shot a roll of 500T in daylight with an 85B filter and a roll of 50D while I was doing some B&W cine film tests, but I want to shoot some of the T films with tungsten light as a more appropriate test before sending them all off for processing.

What I'm really hoping to do, once we've got this process all sorted out, is SELL some of these many many thousands of feet of movie film I've scavenged during this escapade! I mean seriously. I need to gather some more cores and cans to ship in, but then I'd gladly cut off 100-foot-ish hunks of it to send to people to bulk load their own. I've got nearly every speed and color balance of Kodak movie film made in the last few years, and then some.

Duncan
    Last edited by frobozz; 05-12-2011 at 09:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let me ask another question. I know everyone is focused on the 35mm film. But someone was asking about 120 (62mm) long rolls in a thread recently.

Is the 65mm stuff perforated on the edges? If so, how wide are the perfs? Could you slice that down to "roll your own" 120 or 220? Or are the perfs so wide they'll get in the way?
    Michael Batchelor

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've not played with 65mm film, but I have got a little bit of perfed 70mm (like would go in Hasselblad backs, etc.) and cutting it down to 120 size would leave little nibbles of perfs at the edges. They'd be outside of the imaging area, of course, like they are when using one of those 70mm backs, but they might be annoying. (I actually have a 70mm-to-120 slitter, but haven't used it yet.)

So I would guess 65mm movie film would have the perfs actually slightly into the imaging area, which would be even more annoying. But you're never going to find short ends of 65mm film, and you'd be *shocked* at the price for it new... and that's if it's even available new in single roll quantities. A lot of it has to be bought by the case. So that's going to hurt!

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Although these films aren't designed to be printed on RA-4 materials, they are excellent for scanning
    Not to discourage you, but that seems to point to DPUG to me, since the information about this service is of no possible use to anyone except hybrid printers.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, the other processing place I'm talking to is pretty keen on bundling in the service of "printing" them to release film, so then you'd have all your contrast and vibrance back where it's supposed to be.... then you could do what you will with the resulting slides.

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
    Well, the other processing place I'm talking to is pretty keen on bundling in the service of "printing" them to release film, so then you'd have all your contrast and vibrance back where it's supposed to be.... then you could do what you will with the resulting slides.

Duncan
    Wow! Even more like Seattle Film Works!

For the record, I never had any problem with their product. I understand that by the end they were giving shoddy service, but that doesn't mean the concept wasn't valid.

In fact, when I checked the link Chris posted at the beginning that was one thing I was looking for, whether I could send them a roll of exposed film and get back a strip of negatives as well as a strip of positives.

Who would offer that with such short strips? And how would they expect you to deliver it? In respooled Tri-X canisters? Or just extract it yourself and send them the exposed strip?
    Michael Batchelor

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin