Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,734   Online: 1018

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    2F/2F, I understand what you're saying, but I would like to think that there's kind of a understanding between APUG'ers that a passing mention of hybrid technology can be tolerated, if it's not expounded upon beyond reason. I feel like I'm living in a police-state, but we're all adults here, and these aren't dirty words.

I'm not trying to shut you up, but I did request that we not discuss it anymore. You and I are the kind of posters that have to have the last word, and I don't want this thread to go off topic... that's why I said that.

So, can we please just leave it at this? I will post this thread on DPUG.
    Ok, Ok.......

I was interested in the topic, and did not want to start a debate. But I thought it at least needed a passing mention. So it bothered me that you responded the way I did. Thanks for saying that you can at least see my point.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Unfortunately, they quit doing it a few years ago due to extremely low demand, but A and I lab here in L.A. used to sell pre-spooled short ends of all the MP films, and they would process them with the negative and print strip as standard procedure.
    That's sort of the angle I see in a lot of these auctions of still-camera loads of the films: "Use the exact same film for your location and lighting tests, but do it more cheaply with stills instead of movie footage!" Like you say, there don't seem to be a lot of people taking them up on that concept. But clearly it's not outrageous to think about running 5 feet of film through their process, if a lab is so inclined to hassle with it.

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I called in, the guy I spoke to said that they'll splice these short rolls together with leader and run them through the processor with other short rolls, presumably from stills.

He also touted the amazing range of 500T. He was at a foundry (or the like), and they had these large steel blocks heated up to incredible temperatures; he said there was detail in the ground as well as in the hottest center of the blocks, retaining the whole range of visual information. Furthermore, people with D90's (or whatever the kids are using these days) all had clipped highlights with no information in those highlights.

+1 for film!
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Bw cine negative film has no REM backing.

Kodak only makes Eastman Double-X 5222 now having stopped production of Plus-X 5231.
    All true, and as near as I can tell nobody else is making B&W camera films in 35mm either. But there's still a lot of stuff out there hiding in people's refrigerators, so always worth keeping an eye open for that. And Kodak still makes a ton of B&W intermediate/process/print films that might prove interesting, I'm playing with some now.

In regards to the OP that parenthetically mentions not having asked Cinelab about processing B&W film: no need! With no REMJet backing, it processes just like any other B&W film at home.

Duncan

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    "99.9% of this thread is about analogue movie film and the (very interesting) possibilities of using and processing it. I don't think that this would be of much interest or use to the average digital enthusiast."

And, as the OP stated with the sentence in question, nor would it be of much interest or use to the average analog enthusiast. That is exactly the alarm bell that threw the stage for this discussion off kilter in my thinking.

I don't know if you are aware that DPUG, though poorly named IMHO, is home to analog, digital, and hybrid discussions, not just digital. Hybrid Photo dot com was incorporated into it. As such, given your statement above, and mine below it, this discussion is not only A-OK there, but is actually in a much better place there, for it's own sake.

I am not hunting anything down or destroying anything or banishing anyone, so please reconsider the accuracy of those statements. I simply mentioned my belief that this is off topic, and got a foul response that deserved a rebuttal.
    Most of my friends who use digital have long since disposed of their analogue gear, or, particularly in the case of the younger ones, have never even used film. As such they really would have no interest in fiddling around with "old movie film" (which, we're told, is, itself, rapidly becoming obsolescent. ).

Movie film was never designed to produce paper prints, rather "transparent prints" for projection, so it is interesting to know if it can reasonably be used for analogue or scanned prints, and the relevent film processing needed. If, as the OP said, it is more suitable for scanning, that, to me, is all useful info, and I'm not going to criticise him for that digression from our sacred analogue beliefs.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The hybrid workflow I am looking for with this film is the one that turns the negatives into slides I can project, is there a lab that will do that? And yes I am talking about optical transfer here, just like they do to make movies for projection, but I want to make slides for projection.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    The hybrid workflow I am looking for with this film is the one that turns the negatives into slides I can project, is there a lab that will do that? And yes I am talking about optical transfer here, just like they do to make movies for projection, but I want to make slides for projection.
    Any place I've dealt with that processes ECN-II can do this, and usually does as standard practice.

However, these "slides" ("prints," technically) are really designed just to be working versions of the "master" images held on the negative film. The greatest aspects of the MP films are in the original negatives. The fine grain, the wide exposure latitude, and the specialized emulsions.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Also, nobody is going to "print" your negs onto release film on a frame by frame basis in terms of setting the exposure and color correction. They're going to set it in all likelihood by looking at the first frame, and running them all the same way. Note that this is not unlike normal slide film: if you botch your exposure, you get bad slides. But it's different than printing C-41, and it misses some of the other cool aspects of movie film, in that you can do lots of interesting things with the two points of exposure (neg and final print.)

I'm actually including a color chart on the second frame of all my rolls so far (first frame is a piece of paper with the name of what I *think* the film is that I'm shooting... in case any of my short ends turn out to not be as advertised! I can stop doing that once I verify them all...)

Duncan

Shooter
    35mm
    Chris and Duncan:

Thanks for taking the initiative to get this going while I was busy.

All:

This thread is about shooting and more importantly, processing, of ECN-II camera film. Since apug.org is dedicated to shooting and processing film, there is no reason that the topic does not fit in here. What you do with the negs after shooting them, is a whole different game, and is not the subject of this thread.

We just wanted to find a lab willing to do this, and now that we have, we wanted to publicize it so that others can get in on the action. These happen to be the last tungsten-balanced films on the market. And they have the latest technology for image quality. If that doesn't sway a few members into trying the films out, I don't know what will.

Original thank you must go to Ektagraphic for giving me the idea to contact Cine Lab months ago.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin