Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,685   Online: 1175

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

35mm Motion Picture film in Still Cameras - ECN-II Processing at Cinelab, a reality

Some of you may have been following this thread, http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/...ide-films.html, which migrated to a discussion about using color-negative motion-picture film. "Short ends" can be bought cheaply and rolled onto bulk 35mm cannisters

Using MP film opens up a huge arsenal of awesome films from both Kodak & Fuji, notably the venerable 500T (high-speed, tungsten balanced), in addition to the only option for 50 speed color negative stock.

Although these films aren't designed to be printed on RA-4 materials, they are excellent for scanning.

However, the problem has been processing, with some people resorting to C-41 with sub-optimal results.

The ideal solution is of course to get this film developed in the proper process, ECN-II. Cinelab in Massachusetts is now offering this service.

Cinelab
    315 Pleasant St # 11
    Fall River, MA 02721-3021
    508-672-1204
    http://www.cinelab.com/

Although it is not expressly mentioned on their website, it has been confirmed through phone conversations and people are doing it. We should encourage them to start advertising the service on their website, or hey, even here on APUG!

Pricing is not exact, or hasn't been standardized yet, but it should be $10 or less, plus shipping. Turnaround might be a couple weeks, give or take. The more they get though, the quicker it will become.

I'd recommend sending in your rolls with a short note including your phone #, email address, shipping address and any special instructions.

So PLEASE, spread the word and start rounding up all the short ends you can find. This is an awesome opportunity!

Here are some links to get your drooling over motion-picture film....

http://motion.kodak.com/us/en/motion...tion/index.htm
    http://www.fujifilm.com/products/mot...ucts/#negative
    http://www.twinlenslife.com/2010/02/...hter-than.html

(p.s. I have no idea bout b&w, or 65mm (IMAX), but it would be worth asking for sure.)
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That stuff is hard on your cameras. The film stock is really thick. Great for movie cameras, but hard on 35mm camera transport.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I noticed zero problems in my Canon EF.

Thanks for your encouraging comment

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've run ECN through 35mm cameras with no problem except for the image quality. ECN contrast is very low compared to any C41 film (0.5 vs 0.60 - 0.63 professional vs consumer). This makes prints appear very flat. You have to somehow jack up the contrast or get slides made from the negatives using ECP.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    My UK contact for ECNII processing has disappeared off the face of the earth. I shot all my movie film from the other thread and I've no one to process it now...
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think most people, myself at least, will probably be scanning it. If talking analog, you could theoretically boost the contrast with a reinforcing negative mask, no?

perkeleellinen; if you send it over the pond all at once, maybe it'll be cost effective? If they have qualms about international, I'd be more than happy to help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have run hundreds of feet of MP film through still cameras without any problem. I actually prefer it as it lies flatter in the negative carrier. The only problem that I have encountered with color negative MP film is that it is designed to be printed on color positive stock whic does not have quite the same 3 response curves that color paper has. Usually this means a slight color cast in the shadows to avoid any cast in the hightlights.

Processing these color films films is easy if you mix your own chemicals. Consider them like C-41 films with an extra step to remove the REM jet backing.

With BW films you can increase contrast by developing longer. It's not so easy with color negative film since there are 3 separate layers. Increasing development time would have the greatest effect on the top color layer. But adjustments can be made to the developer.

MP film stock is not that much thicker than still film stock. However it is stiffer. The main difference is that only 30 exposures will fit in a cassette.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 05-12-2011 at 03:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sounds like excellent fun to try out those movie films. I've got no interest in bulk loading though, so if they could also provide a service in which they sold pre-made 135 canisters loaded with that film, I'd certainly buy some.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A member here (who may wish to disclose themselves... cough, cough.....) has generously offered and given this film out to a few of us. I suggested that he charge money for it, but his good will proved to be too strong.

I agree though, that'd be nice.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    perkeleellinen; if you send it over the pond all at once, maybe it'll be cost effective? If they have qualms about international, I'd be more than happy to help.
    Thanks for the kind offer. I'm going to hold on for a while in the hope that maybe some local difficulties have taken up my contact's time. He may re-emerge.
    Steve.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin