Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,688   Online: 1066

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I would check the direction of the focusing ring: does it turn, in the Tamron, the same way that it turns with the Nikon?
    I would also check the bayonet on the lens, as I have a prejudice against plastic bayonets.

I would then consider the typical use of this lens. If this is going to be a "walk around" lens, for holidays and "casual" visits to places, then I would value the weight of the lenses. I suppose the Tamron to be lighter and this is important for those long walks.

Regarding the lack of the 24mm in the Nikon, my experience is this: my digital has a fixed "walk around" lens spanning from 24mm to 120mm equivalent focal length. With film, my "walk around" lens is the Minolta Rokkor 28-85 mm. After having been "spoiled" by the wide-angle excursion of the Sony, now when I go round with my Minolta I tend to have a second body with a 24mm on it, so as to have a 24-85 combined capacity. This gives interesting possibilities (such as bringing two film speeds in the two cameras and, when needed, swapping lenses) but overall is much less practical than having a 24mm within one lens.

For a walk-around lens, 24mm is very, very nice to have. Besides - and I hope not to raise a flame war now - the Nikkor 28-105 optically is not the most renowned Nikkor lens around. If you look on the forum of stock agency Alamy you see that it hasn't got rave reviews. Practical yes, but a bit edgy quality-wise. We are talking professional use here, so its quality might well be up to your expectations for the use you are going to make of it, but beware that it is not performing as the average Nikkor zoom. I have no idea about how the Tamron would compare.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm
    Diapositivo, thanks for your advice. This zoom would indeed be my walk around lens, meaning for the casual times when I don't expect to make shots I would later hang on the wall. My current 35mm setup is all primes, which I love to work with, but sometimes the situation just doesn't require the best I have. My digital (1.5x cropped sensor) setup has 17-50 and again some primes, so a 20-100 (or thereabouts) lens would come in handy there too.

According to the photozone.de:
    "The lens belongs to Tamron's SP (Super Performance) lineup indicating a professional grade product. The build quality is good indeed and a little up from the usual Tamron standard but Canon L or Tokina AT-X lenses play in a different league. Nonetheless it feels superior to the usual Canon consumer zooms (which is not all that difficult anyway). "
    My guess is this should warrant a metal mount. As of the focusing ring turning the "wrong way", I am not overly concerned though obviously I would prefer the direction of Nikon lenses. Image quality is my primary concern (within the price range I mentioned earlier).

As for the absolute quality of Nikon 28-105 - it obviously isn't a top quality product and that is what its price reflects. And that's fine, I am not looking for a top grade lens. The Tamron is not much better, if it's better at all, but that is exactly the type of lens (or price, if you will) I am considering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get the 24-135, I've heard good reviews. Now I'm a Canon guy but I use a 24-105 f4L IS as a walkaround all-in-one. I love the wide angle the 24 gives, which made me choose it over the 28-135 IS and similar zooms. But I have heard some rave reviews about that Tamron. It's not a Canon L but it's damn close.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / A2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    I would check the direction of the focusing ring: does it turn, in the Tamron, the same way that it turns with the Nikon?
    Yes they do.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBodyOldSoul View Post
    I do have prime lenses that work for me (20, 28, 35, 50, 85, 105, 135, 180) ...
    Good for you! You have an exercise program incorporated into photography. I do the same with my Hasselblads and five lenses.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Yes they do.

Steve
    Yup, I just checked the Tamron 17-50 for my digital Nikon camera and the focusing ring turns the same way.
    I am not sure about zoom though as the only zoom I ever had was the 50-135/3.5 push-pull. Which means I don't really care seeing as I am not used to any direction..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBodyOldSoul View Post
    Jeff, thanks. I have a Tamron 17-50 for my D90 and I am more than happy with it, especially considering the price.
    However, every manufacturer has come up with some gems and some garbage and the whole spectrum in between, and I am trying to figure out where these two lenses fall, especially with respect to each other.
    What's a D90? )

Shooter
    35mm
    It's technology developed specifically for making pictures of kids and dogs. I don't have a dog and my kid is little so I didn't go full frame

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The 28-105mm every day, excellent optic no question, versatile (can also make macro, not 1:1, yet nice to have just in case...)
    A trully underated optic, I had one for many years and served me always well, excellent performance for the price.

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_zo...tml#AF28-105IF

Choose well

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have the Nikon and it is surprisingly a great lens, at least optically. I used this for several years on an N80 and have no complaints with the shots. There are a few quirks I don't like, such as the front element rotates as you zoom. I didn't care for it on the digital because of the focal length multiplier. So for you D90 I would get one of the DX lenses. I did sometimes wish it went to 24mm, but for that I own a 24mm lens. I have never used the Tamron.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin