Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,021   Online: 786

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Help with Contax G lens decision?

Regretting letting my Hexar AF go last year and stumbled into a clean, green-label G1 body at a decent price recently. I really don't anticipate or intend to build a full system but just wanted another solid walk-around rig. I'm deciding between a 35mm and 45mm as a lens to search for. The focal length is a coin-toss decision and I thought that I would go with the lens that's regarded more highly. Some limited net snooping just now didn't find any clear information other than a comment on APUG about the 35 not being quite as good wide-open as some other G glass.

Can anyone with some knowledge on these clue me in a bit? Any good links/resources that you can direct me to? Any other focal length (28?) that is obviously superior and warrants consideration as a lone optic? Thanks!
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, since the 35mm is the classic walk-around lens and the Green Label G1 can handle it, why not that one? Almost everyone who reviews lenses, however, prefers the Biogon-C 28mm and there is only a 5mm difference. My 45mm is a winner, for sure, and it's only 10mm in the other direction.
    Geo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 45 is supposedly a better performer wide open. My copy was insanely sharp. What I've read about the 35 is not all that great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Haven't used them myself, but several reviews I've seen say the 45mm is optically more impressive.

That said, at least for me, 35mm is a far more useful FL (useful enough to put up with closing down an extra stop or so for comparable quality)...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The 45 is a better lens than the 35, so if you're basing your decision on image quality go with the 45. If you prefer something wider than the 45, go with the 28, which is a very nice lens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ditto the comments about the 45 vs 35. The 45 is a much better lens, with nicer rendition of out-of-focus areas and when it's sharp, it's sharper than the 35. The only reason I have the 35 for my system is that I got it cheap, and I doubt I could sell it for enough to make it worth unloading. Get either the 45 or the 28, both of which are brilliant, and pass on the 35. Or go really nuts and hunt around for the 21. I took my G1/G2 rig with me to Barcelona, and in the end the lens I used the most was the 21. The 90 saw a little use, and I was glad to have it for the shots I did use it for, but it's fussy on the G1.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jawarden View Post
    The 45 is a better lens than the 35, so if you're basing your decision on image quality go with the 45. If you prefer something wider than the 45, go with the 28, which is a very nice lens.
    +1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Ditto the comments about the 45 vs 35. The 45 is a much better lens, with nicer rendition of out-of-focus areas and when it's sharp, it's sharper than the 35. The only reason I have the 35 for my system is that I got it cheap, and I doubt I could sell it for enough to make it worth unloading. Get either the 45 or the 28, both of which are brilliant, and pass on the 35. Or go really nuts and hunt around for the 21. I took my G1/G2 rig with me to Barcelona, and in the end the lens I used the most was the 21. The 90 saw a little use, and I was glad to have it for the shots I did use it for, but it's fussy on the G1.
    Forget the G1 - GET THE G2 !
    I can't emphasize that enough. The difference in AF is
    significant & impressive.

The G2 has both an active & a passive AF system. It can
    focus in the dark, the G1 can't.

Don't get me wrong, the AF, doesn't always work, not
    locking on to the side of a painted car & only having 1
    focus point, can be annoying.

Finally, you must remember that the camera uses an
    averaging meter pattern. In this day, A Matrix metering
    system would be much more advantageous.
    As it is, you have to center your subject, in the finder with the subject to get an accurate reading, use the AE
    lock, than re-compose & shoot.

Even with these drawbacks the G2, is phenomenal.
    Unlike anything else out there & beyond anything Leica,
    has ever produced.

Shooter
    Multi Format

The Late, Lamented & Phenomenal, Contax G2.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Forget the G1 - GET THE G2 !
    I can't emphasize that enough. The difference in AF is
    significant & impressive.

The G2 has both an active & a passive AF system. It can
    focus in the dark, the G1 can't.

Don't get me wrong, the AF, doesn't always work, not
    locking on to the side of a painted car & only having 1
    focus point, can be annoying.

Finally, you must remember that the camera uses an
    averaging meter pattern. In this day, A Matrix metering
    system would be much more advantageous.
    As it is, you have to center your subject, in the finder with the subject
    to get an accurate reading, use the AE lock, than re-compose & shoot.

Even with these drawbacks the G2, is phenomenal.
    Unlike anything else out there & beyond anything Leica,
    has ever produced.

As for lenses, the 28 mm & 21 mm Biogons are unique in the way
    they record an image. Get the 28 & 45 mm lens combination,
    FORGET THE 35 mm !

You won't be sorry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 21, 28, 45 and 90 G lenses are simply AMAZING. The 35 good but not stunning or anything special like others. The 35 is the only G lenses I've bought and then sold again. I've owned my G2 for over 12 years now and love it. Also, yes, forgo the G1 and get the G2.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin