Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,617   Online: 883

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 28mm, 50mm, and 135mm are the only focal lengths I need for my m42 bodies. When I need something wider, I have 24mm and 18mm lenses that I can use on a bayonet body.

Here are the 28mm lenses that I have and have been very pleased (with the exception of the last one) with their performance.

Asahi 28mm f/3.5 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar

Fujinon 28mm f/3.5 SW

Vivitar 28mm f2.8 lens with TX mount

Vivitar 28mm f2.5 lens with M42 mount

Vivitar 28mm f2.5 lens with TX mount

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really like my Vivitar Series 1 28mm f/1.9 in M42 mount. It is the main reason I have not sold my Spotmatic, actually.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Takumar 35mm f/3.5 is one of those lenses that get it 'just right' every time. The 35mm f/2.8 is great too.
    The 28mm f/3.5 Takumar is another fine performer, but like many others here suggest, it may be a bit too different from your 50mm lens, and too wide, to be a logical step to a wider lens. I own the 28mm f/3.5 and love it. But I never really use it. The 35mm gets all the use. And once in a while I'll use an 18mm for tight interiors and so on.

The combination of a 35mm and a 20/24mm lens is a great combination.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While lenses in the 18-21mm range are my favourites, I normally pair them up with a 35mm.

If 50mm is your "normal" lens, I agree with the others about going for a 28 (or maybe 24mm).

None of these are 28mm, but:
    The 20mm Flektogon you mention can be very good, though the f/4.0 is supposed to be even better (that's the one I have).
    The 21mm Mamiya in M42 (also available branded as Rolleinar or Voigtländer in Rolleiflex QBM mount) is decent, though probably not better than the Flektogon.
    The Zeiss 18mm for Rolleiflex has a lovely Zeiss 3-d look and I often prefer it for its look to other lenses (not many, mainly a Leica 19mm) which might be sharper in the corners.
    A Soviet Arsat H 20mm I had was very good, probably as good or better than the Flektogon.
    A Soviet Mir-20M I also had wasn't as good, but still decent if you can get it cheaply.
    Way out of your range, but I've found the Vivitar/Tokina 17mm to be surprisingly good.

Hope this helps...

P.S. I also loved the Takumar 35mm f/3.5, but talking about 35mm lenses opens up a whole new can of worms...
    Last edited by Rol_Lei Nut; 05-30-2011 at 12:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    Forget the 20mm if this is going to be your only wide angle lens IMHO.

When I bought my first wide angle, many moons ago, I went for a 24mm in order to get a "real" wide angle effect indeed. 35mm is too close to the "normal" field of view (whatever that is) and I often go out with just a body and a 35mm lens only when I want to travel "light". Many compact cameras have the 35mm as their only (fixed) lens. You can use the 35mm to shoot a portrait (not from too close but yes a full body can be done). I wouldn't try portrait with anything wider.

Despite of my initial choice of a 24mm, I agree that for wide angles, 28mm is a more effective focal length and you'll get to use it more often then the 24, and get more of a wide angle than the 35.
    If you find 28 a bit wide, there have been 29mm and 30mm also coming from the former East Germany. I have a 30mm which isn't too bad at all. But that doesn't noticeably change the field of view compared to a 28mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here are two close-ups made with 35mm lenses. Can be done. You just have to watch the angle, or use the distortion to your advantage.

People will always bicker about what is the best focal length, and at least this discussion gives you something more to think about.

Good luck in your choice. Let us know how you fare.

- Thomas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails erin_close-up_001_172896.jpg   mormor1sm.jpg  
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok then... Thanks to all...
    I bought today a M42 Flektogon 35 f/2,4 MC.
    Your suggestions about the different focal lenghts have been very useful to make a choice, and I go from a 20mm to a 35mm choice.
    I will use this lens with my m42 cameras and my rolleiflex sl35 camera too.
    I also have a Contax RTSII with a CZ 50 f/1,7... Do you think I can obtain a good quality system using the flektogon and an adapter ring M42-CY? Or maybe I can lose quality using the adapter?
    Let me know something if you can.
    Thanks to all
    Denny

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peleng 8mm f/3.5 circular fisheye Yes, I have one. No, I don't use it much...

Sometimes I'm on a super wide angle kick and then 17mm or 20mm is great. Other times, 24mm is as wide as I want to go. 28mm seems to be the one I use the least. 35mm is good too. Really, you should find your scene and then frame it appropriately with the lens you need rather than saying "I'm going to shoot 20mm today," though I must say I have gone entire days with just the 20mm and got great results.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Flektogon is a good one. I have a really nice Pentax 35/2 M42 that I love. A bit big especially with the "correct" hood but a great lens.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IIRC, M42 lenses can't be used on C/Y bodies keeping infinity focus (or using an adapter with an optical element = bad).
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin