Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,718   Posts: 1,670,003   Online: 1053

Shooter
    35mm

Minolta Maxxum 5 Vs. Maxxum 400si Which one to keep?

I've been recently gifted two auto focus Minolta's with some lenses. Since I usually use my manual focus X-700 and X-300's (simple but reliable) I don't know too much about the Minolta Auto-focus Maxxums. I don't want to keep both and I want to give one to a friend and need to decide tonight which one to give him. Can anyone lend any input or assistance? I would like to keep the better and more advanced camera. I am doing some research but I just don't have time to research in detail so some input would help please! Thank you in advance!
    The Minolta Maxxum 5 or The Maxxum 400si?
    Last edited by mmessina1; 05-29-2011 at 01:14 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: (corrected typos)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Keep the 5, absolutely no question. Completely different class of performance and functionality.

Edit: what you want is mhohner's website
    Last edited by polyglot; 05-29-2011 at 07:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1 to keep Maxxum 5. It's a last generation Minolta film body, has their latest AF, metering and compatibility with current Sony SSM lenses, including the Zeiss glass.
    There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

Shooter
    35mm
    Perfect! Maxxum 5 it is! Works with current lenses thats great! Thanks everyone! I gathered that too from looking around today! I'm glad to see there are still lots of people using film! I was starting to seriously get worried.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 5, hands down.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit, under the knife for a bit
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 / Ektar 127
    RB67 Pro S / 50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yep, the 5 over the 400si any day. SSM/SAM support so you can use the newer lenses (like the cheap and excellent Sony 85/2.8 SAM 'Sonnar'), much better AF, HSS and Wireless HSS support (also gets you limited compatibility with the Sony flashes off-camera), DoF preview, a wireless release socket, 1/4000 max shutter(vs 1/2000), 1/125 sync (vs 1/90), 3 fps winder (vs 1fps) and an available AA grip. And the 5's smaller & lighter.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin