Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,705   Posts: 1,548,484   Online: 869

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hermanson View Post
    batteries will last much longer if you use silver oxide batteries.
    That has not been my experience.

I bought my OM-4 new shortly after it was introduced. The current drain on my specimen OM-4 was enough to exhaust any battery that fits in the compartment in one day.

I sent the camera back to Olympus repair center twice while the camera was still under warranty. No work was done, I was given the batteries back taped to a card that said the batteries were dead.

Using silver oxide batteries while the camera is in this state just empties my wallet.

My first choice of batteries now is the swap-meet $1 a card A76 cells, then next choice is the brand name A76 that are still a few bucks each but not impossible to buy a half-dozen.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Isn't there some 'trick' on the OM4 to turn the power off when not in use? Something like setting the shutter to 'B' ?

(I think I read that somewhere....)
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    I believe the trick might be to send an ailing OM to Camtech

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    I believe the trick might be to send an ailing OM to Camtech
    Camtech is John Hermanson, who posted above .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Camtech is John Hermanson, who posted above .
    Must be why it lists that in his website link . . .

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=Bill Burk;1190312]That has not been my experience.

I bought my OM-4 new shortly after it was introduced. The current drain on my specimen OM-4 was enough to exhaust any battery that fits in the compartment in one day.

You cannot turn the drain off unfortunately. Setting the SS dial to B/60 only prevenets the meter from turning on if the release button is partway depressed.

Something is/was really wrong with that 4. I worked at Olympus when the 4 came out. I saw lots of bodies with high drain, and it took Olympus a while to come up with a lower drain board. IF the customer complained about the high drain, they put a newer low drain board in. If you didn't specifically mention it, the swap was not done. For proper operation, any old OM-4 should have a chrome battery cap (YES, it does make a difference) and make sure the bottom cover screws are tight. Ive seen a few 4s over the years where the circuit was truly defective, drain being 10X normal, but in this case, batteries got warm they drained so fast. You will get several months out of a set of silver oxide batteries in a healthy OM-4. . John

Shooter
    35mm
    John, Given that you've indicated that it requires a board replacement, is it correctable? Does it require a whole board replaced with a low drain version or a component on it replaced?
    You pointed out the OM4 to be a problem - does this also apply to the OM2S with battery drain problem?
    Send to Camtech for a more thorough evaluation?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks John,

I am also sure it is my camera, not a widespread phenomenom. I've got the original black outside / chrome inside battery cover. I occasionally remove the baseplate and tripod socket, clean thoroughly and replace. Good contact does make a difference. But just now the batteries were dead and for 20 cents I am back in business.

I think I'll send the camera to you for CLA, it could use new seals and the finder is dusty. Is it true you can replace the mainboard (even if it isn't cost-effective)?

Shooter
    35mm
    If I may add in my 2 cents...

I just barely got my hands on an OM-4 kit (28/3.5, 35/2.8, 50/1.4) so I'm not a long-time user by any means. My opinions are really just first impressions with some basic, early use.

I wanted a small, unobtrusive SLR to carry around in my Parcel bag with a 3-cell insert. The OM-4 kit that I purchased is perfect for this. The metering is spot-on (no pun intended). It's quiet, robust and it works surprisingly well. It's incredibly intuitive and, in my opinion, one of the finest cameras I've used. And it's WAY smaller than my EOS 1N + EF Lenses.

You can get the Olympus lenses for a good price and they're tack sharp. I bought and sold some gear to get the kit I have and now that it's all said and done and the dust has settled, I've only got about $200 invested in the whole kit (I've also got an OM-10 with Manual Adapter and 50/1.8 as a backup/second camera so I can shoot black and white in one, color in the other, etc.).

Anyway. I think the OM-4 is a really special camera and I love mine.
    Ultimately, Photography is subversive, not when it frightens, repels, or even stigmatizes, but when it is pensive, when it thinks. --from Camera Lucida, Roland Barthes

---
    Websites: HeyMatthew.com | Flickr | SeventyFivePointFour
    Cameras: Canon 5D2 | Ricoh GRD III | Fuji Klasse

Shooter
    35mm
    I've become a huge fan of the OM-4. In fact, I'm on my 3rd example. I had two prior to this one and sold them thinking that I'd use other cameras instead, one of which was an OM-3. Then I realized how much I missed the OM-4 and bought another. It has all of the good qualities of the OM-3 (including mechanical operation above a certain shutter speed) plus a whole lot more. This one's a keeper! So is my LX, another camera that I absolutely love. As Les suggested, it's a good alternative to the OM-4 but they've become rather pricey. In fact their prices are more similar to OM-4T prices, but I think the camera is definitely worth it. Both of these are cameras that can withstand just about any kind of weather as well as any lighting situation, little powerhouses in compact bodies.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin