Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,217   Online: 842

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ugghh...Sticky blades

I picked up a 135mm f/3.5 Super Takumar on the 'bay a month ago, and now the blades are starting to stick while reopening after a shot. I can open the aperture to reset them, but I'd rather they just do it on their own. Any suggestions on getting them taken care of without a $60 CLA???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Might I suggest posting a similar thread in the camera building and repair thread. that should be able to get you answers... But I did just recently get my MF slr cla'd and although I was hesitant about it, when i got it back, I was so happy that I got it done. Really gives you some piece of mind. And $60 is not that much money... I'd think that it's worth it.
    -Austin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had a similar situation a while back. I got the lens cla'd & am happy with the results.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/6...m-i-crazy.html
    "If you look at a thing nine hundred and ninety-nine times, you are perfectly safe; if you look at it the thousandth time, you are in frightful danger of seeing it for the first time." G.K.Chesterton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Tony;

You already have the lens. You know what it can do. You are asking already about how to cure the problem.

Now. How long are you going to keep the lens? If I had not lost it, my original Minolta camera and lens would now be 48 years old. If you are going to keep the lens for 10 years, that cost of $60 for lens work is about $6.00 per year. That is about the cost of a large latte plus tip for the barista out here.

The Super Takumar lenses are worth the maintenance, and, I have never bought anything off e-Bay that did not need at least a CLA. Of those, 60% required repair work in addition to the CLA to get them into good working order and back in specification. Then 20% were found to have so many problems it was more than even I wanted to do, so they became sources for parts to keep other cameras going. Then we have the last 20% that actually did work upon arrival, but they still got the CLA to insure that I knew their condition and developing history, and I could depend on them continuing to work for me over a multiple year long time period.

The cleaning of the lens aperture blades and replacement of the focusing helicoid lubricant is worth the cost of the routine maintenance and the long future use of your lens.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree with the CLA route in any case. This stuff on eBay costs peanuts if compared with the cost when they were new, the quality, the value. Adding a good CLA does not overturn the convenience balance, ensures maximum quality, adds to the pleasure of using, preserves gear for future generations (and fuels the GAS, because the pleasure of having a perfectly functional old thing is addictive).
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    the 3,5/135 Super Takumar is very numerous on the used market and rather cheap. The price for a CLA will be more than a good working example. If you look for another lens, you should take a Super Multi Coated TAKUMAR which has multicoating. I think sometimes I've seen an instruction for the dissassembly and cleaning of this lens.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin