Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,830   Online: 972

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FE2 would be the perfect camera for street, while the FM2N is perfect for the long voyages away from home. The F3 is gorgeous but the slow sync and hard to read meter means the FE2 is more convenient and faster to use.

Shooter
    35mm
    The FA has more features and capability than the FE2 and beats it in price too, people pay more for the FE2 not sure why.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two things come to mind. The noise of an SLR announces to everyone around you that you are taking picutres. Not really what you want if your intent is candid photoes. People who specialize in street photography prefer an all black camera since it is less conspicuous. I would suggest a black rangefinder such as the Voigtlander Bessa. It uses interchangeable lenses of very high quality.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I use Nikon F80's, small and light and the shutter is quiet for an SLR. Fast Autofocus when needed, easy selection of options. Also they are cheap to buy second hand.
    Simplicius

"defying gravity since 1898"

My Flickr Account

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do realize that an SLR is not ideal for street photography, and so my rangefinder or TLR usually gets the job done. I'm just looking for something to perfectly compliment the rangefinder - maybe it isn't as quiet, but what you see is what you get as far as focusing or maybe even putting some filters on, and a nice wide lens gets me closer to the action. And when I want to change my application, all I have to do is switch lenses.

I thought about going for a black camera, but I find that they can absorb more heat and be uncomfortable to hold. Also, there's less of a chance that someone will glance at it and think it's a digital SLR. Most people I've interacted with are turned off when I use my all-black, modern-looking Canon EOS A2, and I get more positive responses when using the chrome Konica Auto S2.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    The N90s is great, for the price they can be had at it is very, very tough to beat.
    I agree with the N90s. I have one and it was my fathers before it was mine. Been in the family for over 15 years now and still works perfectly, its built like a tank. I would also look at the F100, seems very similar to the n90s but updates can be had for very little off of keh.

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to have an F3hp and I liked it a lot, I especially liked that the prism could be removed and then the camera could be used at waist level (actually, more like chest level as the finder isn't that big). I didn't like the slow sync nor the meter read out which was difficult to read in low light. But then the FE2's meter needle is also difficult to read in low light and I don't suppose flash sync is of much concern. In practice, though, I doubt there'll be any major difference between the two cameras - better save your money and buy film.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes for shooting street the smaller the body the better, if it has aperture priority even better! Ive shot a lot of my street work with an all black Nikon EM, its probably the tiniest slr that nikon made and super bare on features (no manual mode, sync at 1/90th, A only), but its tough and has gotten me good shots. I like the 24mm and the 50mm for street, but you better get adjusted to getting in close with those two. The faster you can get those lenses the better, as theres so much to shoot when it gets darker as well.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy which ever camera you choose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    why not an FM2 ? Have an F3P and love it but the shutter isn't exactly the quietest and the viewfinder information is, well scant. Body built like a tank so heavier than an FM2 which you can use sans battery. Only thing it's manual compared to the aperture priority FE2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For street: FG20 with E series lens. It is smallest nikon SLR.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin