Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,875   Online: 901

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with SkipA ... I actually pounded a nail with my New F-1 once (and only once).
    I even left it out in a rainstorm (too many beers) ... just had slight corrosion on a contact in the base (water leaked in since the time I pounded a nail), and just a simple cleaning fixed it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are good, and feel solid. But the few added features over the New F-1 still don't make me prefer the T-90, when it comes to cameras with automatic modes. The price is the real advantage over the F-1, IMHO. I'd get one if I found it in very good condition for $150 or less. If any more than that, I'd just save a bit more and get an F-1.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The thing is, if you want spot metering on a New F-1, you need a spot-metering screen, and they tend to go for $80-100 last I checked, and then while you're at it, you might want a normal one and one optimized for long lenses, and then that sports finder seems like a nice thing, and if you ever want to use shutter priority AE, well, you need a motor drive, and the AE finder and screen for aperture priority, and...well at least the darn thing takes a normal cable release.

If there's one thing that irks me about modern 35mm SLRs it's those proprietary electronic release cables. You can use an electric release cable on a New F-1 as well as a normal mechanical release, but the electric release uses a normal audio miniplug, just like many movie cameras, instead of some three-pin connector that works on some Canon bodies and not others.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    David, you just talked me into a Kodak Pony 135. Simple thing that does 1 thing, takes pictures and no accessories and use of the Sunny 16 rule in lieu of a meter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I currently have 2 T90's and will happily buy another as soon as the cash becomes available. The best of the FD cameras IMHO.

Larry
    "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest"........Paul Simon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    . . . although they only made the T90 for around one year in 1986 . . .
    I don't believe this is correct. Many people confuse the introduction of the EOS system with the discontinuation of all things FD, when actually there was an overlap. My data indicates that the T90 was manufactured from 1986 to 1990, possibly 1991. The Canon Camera Museum shows a brochure for the T90 with a 1990 date on it . . .

I can tell you this for certain because I remember it happening -- when Canon announced the discontinuation of the T90 in 1991, dealers' stocks were sold out in just a few days time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    One small point:

On APUG, referring to a T90 as "old" may confuse some of the regular contributors.
    Boy howdy. I still can't help but think of the T90 as being new and hi-tech. When it comes to Canon FD, I'm definitely old school. Old F-1s and FTbs here. But I'll admit to being attracted to it in a way that doesn't seem to be terribly rational.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like T90's a lot. They feel solid and "luxurious." I have almost bought one on several occasions. But I always decided not to, as the only "extra" feature I would appreciate over my F-1's and FTbs would be the automatic film advance, and maybe the higher flash synch speed from time to time. The metering stuff is great for someone who relies on their in-camera meter, but I almost never do. For what I shoot with 35mm, the T90 really offers nothing over my other FD cameras. If I shot a lot with flash on 35mm, and used automatic modes, I would definitely use one.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cooltouch View Post
    I don't believe this is correct. Many people confuse the introduction of the EOS system with the discontinuation of all things FD, when actually there was an overlap. My data indicates that the T90 was manufactured from 1986 to 1990, possibly 1991. The Canon Camera Museum shows a brochure for the T90 with a 1990 date on it . . .

I can tell you this for certain because I remember it happening -- when Canon announced the discontinuation of the T90 in 1991, dealers' stocks were sold out in just a few days time.
    I've never seen one with anything other than the code for 1986 in the film chamber of a T90 and this bears this out http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...nt90/index.htm and says "it had barely a year to survive"
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well thank you all for those very useful tips, observations,and recommendations. It certainly looks like a camera to acquire, and I will be searching for a good one. I missed one on ebay (UK) on Thursday of this week, T90+50mm/1.4 lens. It went for £98-00. I had to go out for 30 mins and when I got back the auction was down to the last 9 mins. I'd lost my train of thought through being out, but if I'd had an extra 10 mins. back in front of the screen, I think I would have gone higher with my bid, especially due to the 50mm f1.4 lens.
    I have also found details of a person here in the UK who was Canon trained, and does repairs on the T90. It looks like in order to keep myself happy, I will have to get the T90 as soon as possible.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin