Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,714   Posts: 1,514,757   Online: 801

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

CANON T90 - - - Although old, who recommends buying one.???

Always wanted one of these years back (about 1999). I was put off due to a magazine article, which said that if the internal battery failed, then the camera would need a professional repair. I thought that meant the camera would be useless, but apparently the battery is only a back-up for when the main batteries are not installled.(It powers the LCD display when the camera is turned off, but a film is loaded.) Now that it looks as though there is nothing to fear re failure of the internal battery, I am looking forward to try and find a good T90. The only other point raised in reviews is the fact that the magnets(which fire the shutter ?)can become sticky, causing the EEE message. Apparently this can be prevented by firing the shutter occasionally, when the camera is stored, for a few times, and at reasonably frequent intervals of say, a few weeks.
    Anyone with good feedback, suggestions, and personal experience of the Canon T90 please feel free to post your comments. Through not going digital I have saved hundreds of pounds (££££'s) and like to stick to film(APG) and love manual focus cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I owned a T90 only briefly during the early 90s and loved it, except for one thing. Like all other electronic Canon cameras except the AT-1, when in manual mode, it does not show the aperture you select, only that which the camera recommends. So to me this is not a "true" manual mode, since by my way of thinking one should be able to determine correct exposure while adjusting the shutter speeds and apertures while keeping ones eye to the viewfinder and watching the meter readout. Canon finally "fixed" this problem with their EOS cameras. Having said all that though, the T90's metering modes are sophisticated enough where you can probably just leave the camera in Program mode and forget about it.

So anyway, if you can deal with this one drawback, then I would say, absolutely, go for it. I know a number of people (members of another forum) who shoot regularly with T90s and love the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tho I'm not familiar with the T90, I just bought one of my daughters a T70. So far(three rolls of film) no problems. The exposures look spot on and as of Monday, we are awaiting the arrival of a 70-210 Canon FD zoom for it(Hunts Camera, $22.50 w/warranty).
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My concern would be the loss of the LCD screen. Back then life expectancy was only about 5 years. Never found out what the hbf estimates were. I never had one but it was on a short list one time when I was considering a 35mm slr system along with the Pentax LX and the Contax RTS III. Finally decided just to buy a 35mm back for my Bronica.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a T90 back in the mid to late '90s. I bought it used, with a data back. It had seen a lot of use already before I got it, but I never had a problem with it. It was a good camera. I sold it in order to buy an EOS 3.

The EOS 3 was a good camera too, but it didn't take me long to regret selling the T90. I could use all my FD mount lenses with the T90. I never manged to build up a comparable set of EF mount lenses, and frankly, I found I preferred the build quality of the FD lenses. The autofocus on the EOS 3, the main reason why I bought it, was also a disappointment to me. I still have and occasionally use the EOS 3, but I really wish I still had my T90.

I might be wrong about this, but I seem to recall that there was only one Canon flash that would work with the T90. The 300TL. I had that flash, and when it went out, I was never able to find a working replacement. The camera lacks a PC sync socket too.

If you buy a T90, keep in mind that you might have a hard time locating parts for it if it ever needs repair.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post
    I had a T90 back in the mid to late '90s. I bought it used, with a data back. It had seen a lot of use already before I got it, but I never had a problem with it. It was a good camera. I sold it in order to buy an EOS 3.

The EOS 3 was a good camera too, but it didn't take me long to regret selling the T90. I could use all my FD mount lenses with the T90. I never manged to build up a comparable set of EF mount lenses, and frankly, I found I preferred the build quality of the FD lenses. The autofocus on the EOS 3, the main reason why I bought it, was also a disappointment to me. I still have and occasionally use the EOS 3, but I really wish I still had my T90.

I might be wrong about this, but I seem to recall that there was only one Canon flash that would work with the T90. The 300TL. I had that flash, and when it went out, I was never able to find a working replacement. The camera lacks a PC sync socket too.

If you buy a T90, keep in mind that you might have a hard time locating parts for it if it ever needs repair.
    I love the EOS3, but agree with you. I had a T90, and it has all the features of the ESO3 + BPE2 for 1Kg less ! I loved mine until it failed with the EEE error, and it is now out of repair

If you buy one, you won't be disappointed !
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    T-90 is a great camera, get one!

Jeff

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have looking to buy either an FI new or T90, the prices of some really good Canon FD lens are just too good to pass up. Last night I picked the T90, will get 2 bodies, one for parts. I have not used much in the way of Canon, just a couple of fixed lens rangfinders and a Canon 7 with a few lens. First Canon SLR.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The life expectancy of the T90 lcd is rated at about 25 years. Add to that the dreaded EEE-error and buying one becomes a risky affair. However, I hear everywhere that it is a very fine camera, one of the best in the FD system. I never owned one myself, but I would surely get one for the right price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Age in itself doesn't have to be major problem for a camera's reliability (there are some cameras which don't even use foam).
    That said, cameras which are 30+ years old could probably need or at least benefit by a CLA.

The big question is if you want a camera loaded with all kinds of electronic components (trying not to use the word gadgets here....) which aren't repairable, only replaceable.
    If you consider it as a disposable, just use it until it dies, then o.k. Otherwise, something less electronic will probably last you far longer.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin