Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,324   Online: 910

Rollie 35mm w/40 Tessar

I want to re-purchase a Rollie 35mm (the little guy)....need your help...there was an issue between the German model and the Singapore model ...seems that one model was preferred over the other...I can't remember....advice and recommendations would be appreciated...here is the www.keh.com link....:

http://www.keh.com/shop/product.cfm?...d&crid=8776989

BTW: if you have one for sale or know someone that does....let me know...

Thanks
    Chuck....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Chuck,
    The Germany-made Rolleis are harder to find as not that many made were made before production was moved to Singapore. I don't know if there's a difference in quality between the two. http://www.perkowitz.net/photo/resou...ks/gear/rollei
    and www.rolleicamera.com The latter sells battery adapters etc.
    Regards
    Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chuck,

There's no issue that I know of between the German and Singapore models, unless you include the price that some people are willing to pay for the 'Made in Germany' ones, and the comparative rarity of them. The S'pore models are available with HFT lenses, though.

Before production moved to S'pore there was the Rollei 35 with the Zeiss f/3.5 Tessar. Early S'pore models had Zeiss-badged lenses, but they changed to Rollei, then finally to Rollei HFT. When the f/2.8 Sonnar version came out the 35 T and 35 S designations were born. Of all of the models, I'd look for an HFT Sonnar - they are really quite cheap for the amazing quality. The difference in lens quality between the Tessar and Sonnar is slight, in my opinion. The extra speed can come in handy in extremis.

There's a choice of meter displays. The last versions made (bar commemorative ones that I'm ignorant of) were the TE and SE. These had larger batteries and an LED readout in the viewfinder. Some users like that, I didn't. I prefer the original top-plate match needle - it is actually more convenient for one-handed operation while you are doing something else, like trying not to fall off the hill*. The match-needle versions use the old PX625 mercury cell, but this isn't an unsurmountable obstacle - see below.
    There was also the 35 B which had a selenuim cell and a Triotar lens. I had one for a short time, but changed to the 35 T - in fact that was the first new camera I ever bought. I still use it.

Black ones fetch slightly higher prices than chrome, in general.

Many are dented from heavy use by mountaineers etc. - they were the climber's camera. The dents rarely matter in functional terms. Look for lens scratches though. The saving factor is that many of us who would rarely use a protection filter otherwise, always used an 81A or 1A in the hills. This meant that the original 35 T lens cap would not fit unless modified. Epoxy and duct tape is the official method.

Check the meter, if it matters to you. You can use a Wein cell to replace the old mercury one, or, (edit) in addition to the adapter that clogz wrote about while I was writing this, get the camera adjusted by Harry Fleenor to take current (no bad pun intended) cells.

Ask if you want any more info. In case you can't tell, I love these cameras, I've used them continuously for over thirty years, and I have a few different models in different conditions.

Best,
    Helen
    *A lot of British climbers and mountaineers use the word 'hill' where other people would use 'high mountain' or 'vertical cliff'.

PS I know that you don't need convincing, but here are three photos taken with them: here, here and here.
    Last edited by Helen B; 10-02-2004 at 01:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As mentioned above, primary difference between German & Singapore is collector value. Quality of cameras is same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chuck, get hold of Sean at Camera West in Monterey. It's not ebay, but he has a wonderful selection of just about everything. He also has reasonable prices on the used things. He'll know about it all. The other option is Midwest Camera Exchange. They are very good people to deal with.
    Non Digital Diva

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin