Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,506   Posts: 1,543,518   Online: 1019

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    The FM3a was a bit of a disaster for Nikon--an enhanced, technically advanced retro camera whose belated roll-out coincided with burgeoning digital sales and plummeting interest in new film gear.
    Maybe a disaster for Nikon but certainly a benefit to anyone who can appreciate a great light tight box

It is literally having the best of both the FM2 and FE2 (and then some) but almost 20 years newer to last that much longer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I truly enjoy my FM2.

Personally I would skip the 3 and go with an N90s or F100 if you need more automation.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    Maybe a disaster for Nikon but certainly a benefit to anyone who can appreciate a great light tight box

It is literally having the best of both the FM2 and FE2 (and then some) but almost 20 years newer to last that much longer.

ZZZzzz. Old news. Too bad they cheaped-out and forgot a flip-up Ai tab. So much for whimsy. Love my 45/2.8 Ai-P--another Nikon "dud."

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have both.
    Stay with the FM2N if you do a lot of shooting in dark conditions and don't require Auto exposure because the LED's and lighted shutter #'s can be readily viewed whereas the FM3A cannot.
    As said, the FM3A is a last gasp technological marvel of a camera and a delight to use in AUTO but not at night because you don't know what the shutter speed will be.

The ideal world would be to have both, FM2n at night and FM3A during the day!-Dick

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    ZZZzzz. Old news. Too bad they cheaped-out and forgot a flip-up Ai tab. So much for whimsy.
    The omission of the tab happened with the FE2/FA/FM2 which was long before the FM3A conception.

To be sure, the FM3A's total hybrid design was unprecedented and has since not yet been matched to-date by any other camera.

We can only be so lucky for another whimsical release . . .

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    The omission of the tab happened with the FE2/FA/FM2 which was long before the FM3A conception.

To be sure, the FM3A's total hybrid design was unprecedented and has since not yet been matched to-date by any other camera.

We can only be so lucky for another whimsical release . . .
    Yeah but Nikon would retrofit F5s with a flippy tab. More whimsy? Probably.

Recall talking to visiting Nikon.jp techs in 2002 at Nikon.ca who bemoaned cancellation of plans to market a range of "chipped" manual lenses after the FM3a's disappointing debut. Still not sure what they were thinking when this project went ahead. Suspect it was mulled over for too long then fast-tracked only to fizzle. Reactions around Toronto ranged around: "WTF?" "Too pricey" "I've got an FE/FE2/FM2n," not to mention silent head-scratching and puzzled looks. Would have been a winner if it had hit the market in the mid/late 90s.
    Last edited by CGW; 06-15-2011 at 08:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    The FM3a is significantly newer and likely seen very little use. That is about the only reason to opt for the FM3a. The FE2 would be almost the same as the FM3a except for the mechanical shutter but you would not miss it unless you run out of batteries. I am not sure that the FM3a was a disaster for Nikon. There were a lot of interest in the camera but due to the high price of $600 at introduction (much higher when Nikon discontinued it) prevented a lot of people from buying on including myself. If Nikon could sell it for $400 I would have one and I believe many others.
    If someone wants a camera with more automation then one can get even an F5 for the price of the FM3a these days.

Shooter
    35mm
    'Is it worth the difference?' I can't help but chuckle. Volumes have been written comparing/contrasting these bodies. Have you searched? Do you anticipate needing the aditional features of the 3a? What is the value to you of the additional features and having a newer camera? You'll soon have your answer.

At times I can get by with my 2n, esp for potentially damaging situations in the wilds, and others when I want aperture priority or TTL flash, in which case the 3a is the ticket. Hard to go wrong with either.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Motor winder + FM3a = a heck of lot of fun. Only complaint is you can put it on 4000 instead of A rather easily. Shot a whole roll of Kodachrom 64 at that speed with a some interesting results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slumry View Post
    Motor winder + FM3a = a heck of lot of fun. Only complaint is you can put it on 4000 instead of A rather easily. Shot a whole roll of Kodachrom 64 at that speed with a some interesting results.
    A little dark?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin