Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,728   Online: 811

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon FM2N or FM3A, which one to get?

I have been offered a FM2N and a FM3A both mint. The FM3A is more expensive. Is it worth the difference?
    Convince me one way or another?
    Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How much more expensive?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    How much more expensive?
    Probably close to double.

My FM2n just keeps going.
    I'm not up on the added features exactly so I'll let someone else say the FM3 is better.

For my use the FM2n is plenty.

Shooter
    35mm
    Double the price. What are the main differences?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vsanzbajo View Post
    Double the price. What are the main differences?
    Basically auto exposure.
    And,
    they are newer.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The FM2n is all manual and mechanical, has an LED meter display. The FM3a is sort of two cameras in one. It's both a fully mechanical camera with the full range of shutter speeds if the battery dies, and an automatic camera with electronically controlled shutter speeds. So it's both fully mechanical and fully electronic. It has a meter needle instead of LED's. Both cameras have a 1/4000th top shutter speed and interchange most accessories.
    The FM3a is very collectible, because of its unusual design, its status as the last of the FM/FE/FA type cameras, and because it did not sell in large numbers. IMO, it was a Nikon tour de force, displaying their prowess at camera design and building.

If you just want a camera and don't really need or don't want an automatic camera, I say get the FM2n and spend the difference on film. If you want an automatic I say get an FE2 and spend the difference on film. If you want a very special camera pop for the FM3a.

Just my opinion.
    Last edited by lxdude; 06-14-2011 at 11:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a near mint FE2 and FM2 and some FM/FEs. I'd love to have an FM3a but I
    don't see that I'd be gaining much over the FE2 except some flash features but I
    don't use flash.

Shooter
    35mm
    Essentially, you will pay twice as much for aperture priority which can extend the lower shutter speed range. You'll also get a needle display meter rather than LEDs. The camera will be newer, but I doubt that matters much with these models. If the price being asked is very, very low and double is still a steal, go for it (if you don't like it, sell it and buy two FM2s), otherwise, I don't think the gain is worth the cost.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FM3A is on top extremely strong. No failures.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    With prices what they are, I'd be tempted to get an FM2n and an FE or FE2 just for the AP feature. Another route is to get a clean N90s/F90x--an AF model that works superbly as a MF camera.

The FM3a was a bit of a disaster for Nikon--an enhanced, technically advanced retro camera whose belated roll-out coincided with burgeoning digital sales and plummeting interest in new film gear.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin