Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,925   Online: 1014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Yashica TL-Electro question

I just bought a Yashica TL-Electro at a flea market for $10. Before buying it I tested it to see if the shutter would work, but stupid me did not test it on all speeds. It works great from speed 1/60 to 1/1000. At 1/30 the mirror and shutter stick open. I can turn the dail back to 1/60 and the mirror will fall/ shutter closes. Anyone know how to fix this problem? 10 bucks is not a big loss but would really like to use this camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just picked up another (my second) TL-Electro specimen today, and this one has pretty much the same problem! At 1/1000, it works fine. At 1/60 or faster, the mirror returns exactly every other snap of the shutter. At slower speeds, it doesn't return at all. Batteries are not the issue: I put fresh batteries in it and nothing is affected - they only power the meter.
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Check that the foam mirror bumper has not turned to a sticky, gummy, mass, causing the mirror to adhere to the focus screen when it is in the up position. I have had several TL Electro/TL Electro X cameras where that was the problem. On the TL Electro, with the horizontal cloth shutter, it is very important to clean up and replace the foam body seals or you will end up ruining your shutter when bits of gunk get stuck to it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks. I will try that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Remove the bottom plate and WITHOUT GETTING ANY INTO THE PRISM AREA squirt a little lighter fluid on the sides of the bottom of the camera. Then turn camera back down so it falls out (hopefully dirty and black) The timer gears need to be cleaned this way. If you get any in the prism area you will have to take off the top. Keep doing it several times being careful like I said. Make sure all the bottom is squirted. If you were in Phila I could do it in 5 minutes because I have taken hundreds of cameras apart (partially). CAUTION: with this model (not one of the best, by the way) the bolts that hold the pressure plate actually go right thru the back, sometimes causing light leaks. If you get light leaks check this bolt area also. I believe the TL Electro X (not yours since you have the TL Electro without the 'X') does not have this vulnerablilty. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David, that did it, and it worked immediately! You're a gentleman and scholar, and there are damn few of us left. Thanks very much!
    rberry65, you should try this. I was unsure exactly where to squirt the fluid, but I think where it was needed was the cluster of black gears that has a little scythe-shaped piece arcing around them.
    elcabezagrande, I also followed your advice and replaced the deteriorated front mirror bumper foam with some I cut from a 35mm film cassette.
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I tryed it and my situitation only got worse. Now it is just stuck open, and I can not turn my dail down past 1/60. So, i figured the camera is a loss so why not just go ahead and take it apart some more and have a look. That was interesting, but if the camera wasn't messed up before, it darn sure is now. The shutter is completely gummed up, but don't know how to get it out ofthe camera. A gear fell out from somewhere, but I have not a clue from where. I just learned that I am not skilled with this sort of thing, lol. Maybe I will play with it some more....better yet, maybe I should just chunk it into the garbage, lol.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ugh, sorry you're having such bad luck with it! If all else fails, keep the lens on it (if you got it with one), and get yourself another camera body that accepts M42 screwmount lenses. They can be rather inexpensive. Besides the TL-Electro, Pentax Spotmatics and various Zenit cameras accept the same M42 lenses. It's no ideal camera, but I got a Zenit ET from eBay a while back for $7 and change, shipping included!
    website | Flickr

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    For $10, if it has a nice Yashica Yashinon lens, especially if it is a fast prime, you are still way ahead. There are hundreds of bodies that use the M42 lenses. Besides the ones that Ottrdaemmerung mentioned, older Ricoh, Sears, Chinon, Mamiya, Praktica, Petri, Fujica and many other brands. Look for ones with metal shutters, they stand the test of time better, and are easier to clean if they do get gummed up.

I would bet a bag of donuts that the root cause of your problem was tiny bits of gooey foam materiel getting into places where it didn't belong, like in the grooves of the shutter assmbly, and on the shutter curtain itself.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I have a TL Electro bought for £5 at a market that also hangs up at 1/60th. It came with the f1.7 DS-M lens, so as has been said, I'm ahead regardless of the body. These cameras were a cheaper Yashica equivalent of the Spotmatic II, but apart from the fact that the viewfinder was a bit pokey, I rather like them.

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin