Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,465   Posts: 1,570,700   Online: 952

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7XNtShbXp4

It was after I took this video that I realized that a carpet probably wasn't the best place to tinker with an open camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK. I've been poking around several places and found what seems to be plenty of information for performing the fix on this camera. However, compared to the airplanes I've worked on, this stuff is so precise and delicate that I'm not sure I'm willing to trust myself to do the work on this beautiful camera. If it were a beater, sure... so maybe I'll keep an eye out for just such a camera (cheaper is better).

I've seen some references to camera repair outfits in the archives, but what is currently the best shop that'll do a CLA for a reasonable rate. Wolf and Bedford want a mint, and won't even admit whether the folks they use will even touch a classic RF anyway.
    I sent an email and a voicemail to Garry's in IL, and hope to hear back, but everything I see on his site is SLR, so I'm waiting to see if he works on these.

Any others out there? I'm still sifting through the forum threads for ideas, but figured I'd go ahead and shove it out here anyway.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You could try Mark Hama, he has an excellent reputatation for both service and price:

http://www.markhama.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sent him an email. Any idea of a cost ballpark?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spacer View Post
    Sent him an email. Any idea of a cost ballpark?
    Not really, but you could try giving him a phone call.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have two. The lenses both wobble. I have heard that if you tighten them, the focus/aperture/shutter dials get stiff. It doesn't bother me and it doesn't seem to have gotten any worse over the years they've been in existence. It's a fun camera. An SR44 battery will get you going. If you're picky, there's a pot you can adjust under the top cover to tweak the meter to compensate for the voltage difference between Silver oxide and Mercury cells. I shot a few rolls and think I'll leave it as is.

I worked on one of them. The front lens is easy-peasy to get off, used a selection of tools I made myself from some cheap General brand calipers, dividers and long nose pliers with a Dremel tool to shape the tips. Ronsonol lighter fluid as a solvent loosens up the shutter just fine. Then I noticed that the coating on the front element was scratched and the rear element had tendrils of fungus. It still takes good pictures, but I found another that had a perfect lens, and those photos are even better! But they are pretty easy to disassemble from the instructions located here: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=90468
    Last edited by Peter Simpson; 06-20-2011 at 07:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Simpson View Post
    I have two. The lenses both wobble. I have heard that if you tighten them, the focus/aperture/shutter dials get stiff. It doesn't bother me and it doesn't seem to have gotten any worse over the years they've been in existence. It's a fun camera. An SR44 battery will get you going. If you're picky, there's a pot you can adjust under the top cover to tweak the meter to compensate for the voltage difference between Silver oxide and Mercury cells. I shot a few rolls and think I'll leave it as is.
    Thanks for the tip. I have the battery issue covered, and a sticky shutter is my remaining problem. If I can't get an affordable fix at a shop, I'll have no choice but to go in myself. I'll look around for a clunker camera to practice on first, though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would just buy a new one it may be cheaper

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm... you know where I can get a new Canonet? I'm seeing really nice, recently serviced ones going for quite a lot, so if I can find a $60 CLA, I think it'd be well worth it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by heespharm View Post
    I would just buy a new one it may be cheaper
    Oh, hush. If logic had anything to do with it, I'd just stick with my EOS dSLR and the A2E and be happy.

...and I wouldn't have these two lovely Kowa SIXes...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin