Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,660   Online: 1154

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Vancouver, Canada (I also have a USA shipping address)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by upnorthcyclist View Post
    I compared the sound my XD makes to your videos, and there is a difference. The quality of your recording my explain it, but my XD makes a kind of shuffling noise when it's fired - quite muted - there is no clacking sound like I'm hearing in the video and no vibration that I can feel. I just had mine CLAd, but I don't recall it sounding like that even before the service was done. Not being able to actually compare the cameras side-by-side, this may not be a valid guess, but I agree with fstop - the mirror foam bumper may be shot.

Are there any black specks in the viewfinder that would indicate deteriorated foam flying around in there? The way the camera is built, it's difficult to see the mirror bumper and some disassembly is required to replace it, so if the seals weren't replaced by a professional, there's a chance that the bumper wasn't renewed.

The XD is a great camera and well worth the cost of a CLA to keep it hummin'.

Mike

no deteriorated foam in the viewfinder
    the cla costs more than the camera
    thanks for comparing it to yours - thats what i was really after
    the mirror comes up before the shutter blades - they don't release at the same time its weird sounding
    like at 1/15sec for example, i can see the mirror coming up and blocking the viewfinder and then the shutter blades open - like really distinctly out of sync - a definite three sound da-ka-chonk
    Last edited by chij; 06-18-2011 at 09:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    mirror damper foam could be bad,hence the noise
    Yes, the damper fosm in a used cameras should always be checked before you start doing anything. I cracked the mirror in a Yashica SLR because there was a machine screw under the foam. The foam not only damped the mirror return but also shielded the mirror from the screw head. When the foam distintegrated there was nothing to protect the mirror.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Vancouver, Canada (I also have a USA shipping address)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    i don't think its the mirror bumper foam though
    seller said the light seals were replaced by a camera store in 2006

Shooter
    35mm
    The XD has an air damper that cushions the mirror mechanism - I have read that these can be troublesome. Usually it gets slow, creating a lag in the cycle. I mention this because it seems like if it isn't working, i.e. not cushioning, maybe it can cause the mechanism to clatter. Also, keep in mind that the XD has a "final check" in its metering system that corrects exposure after the camera closes the aperture down but before the shutter fires. Maybe try firing the shutter with a lens on the camera with the aperture wide open, then with the aperture stopped down and see if there is a difference.

The metal, vertical shutter used in the XD is really a fine, smooth mechanism - one of the better ones around. The only things I've read about that caused problems with this shutter are actual damage (sticking ones thumb through it when loading film) or a small bit of film getting caught in the mechanism.

You know, the actual cost of a used camera is generally thought of as the price you paid for it plus the cost of a CLA.
    Last edited by upnorthcyclist; 06-18-2011 at 05:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chij View Post
    no deteriorated foam in the viewfinder
    the cla costs more than the camera
    thanks for comparing it to yours - thats what i was really after
    there mirror comes up before the shutter blades - they don't release at the same time its weird sounding
    like at 1/15sec for example, i can see the mirror coming up and blocking the viewfinder and then the shutter blades open - like really distinctly out of sync - a definite three sound da-ka-chonk
    The deteriorated foam would be in the mirror box, not the shutter. At the top of the lens mount, inside the camera. They are usually the width of the focusing screen and 3-5mm from front to back.
    Any SLR made, the mirror goes up first, it's actually what releases the shutter and has no effect on shutter speed.
    The audio if it's accurate seems as though it's noisier than I recall. The XD cameras were the quietest Minolta made.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by chij View Post
    i don't think its the mirror bumper foam though
    seller said the light seals were replaced by a camera store in 2006
    Thats a dirty trick used by unscrupulous sellers on ebay. The mirror foam is not a light seal so they can get away with saying the seals have been down yet the mirror cushion could be completly shot or even nonexistant and they get off scott free.

The XDs do have bumper/cushion foam in the mirror box.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, chij;

To my ears, in comparison with the Minoltas I have here, the mirror bumper may not be in very good shape, or not there. Others have mentioned that it is not easy to change the bumper normally. To paraphrase an old well known statement; "Some [dis]assembly required."

And, your observation about your price for the camera - with shipping - was less than what the cost of a CLA will be is fairly common. And, I normally assume that anything that I get from e-Bay will be in need of a CLA. So far from e-Bay, about 20% of what has been received was able to be put into service with just a CLA. About 60% of them have needed obvious repair in addition to a CLA to get them to work back in normal specification. The remaining 20% were so far gone that it was going to be more than what even I wanted to invest to get them operational again; they became parts cameras. I do want to point out that each and every one of these cameras was described on e-Bay as; "Used, but fully functional . . . " Even for someone who "is not a camera person," what does it take to recognize that a camera may not be "fully functional" when the front portion of the lens flops around from side to side?

Anyway, you might try Garry's Camera, Niles, Illinois, www.garryscamera.com You may find his prices to be a little more palatable. Please note that a few people have sent their cameras back for rework, but most seem to be very happy with their results.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin