Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,550   Online: 787

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd get that Nikon and pancake 50mm that is in the classifieds for $65.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I'd get that Nikon and pancake 50mm that is in the classifieds for $65.
    Actually, its down to $45, less the zoom lens. And still no takers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elcabezagrande View Post
    Actually, its down to $45, less the zoom lens. And still no takers.
    I am sorry I suggested it. It is now spoken for. But similar kits will show up.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    You want to have a camera around your neck all day and in high mountains and weight doesn't matter? Hammmm.....

And lenses? They do play a role is the system you use! Do you even need interchangeable? If so, will you be changing often (if not, M39 & M42 screw mount could be interessting)? Are there any particular focal lengths you like and for which uses? Otherwise you'll just get "get the camera I use" answers, with Nikon winning the popularity contest.

A basic rundown of the main players:
    Pentax Spotmatic: + Compact, reliable, nice lenses - Slow lens changing, slow metering, poorish viewfinder
    Pentax K (no, the K1000 is not the best & only K made!!!): Like above, without the defects. Less lens choice than some (if you really need that).
    Nikon MF: Make good hammers. Generally very good users, though often beaten by others in individual parameters.
    Nikon AF: De gustibus... Need to change focus screen if you want to use it seriously for manual focus.
    Canon FD: They have a right to exist too (if you avoid the more plasticky ones).
    Canon EOS: Very much de gustibus... If you like "fire and forget", why not?
    Olympus OM: + Small, light, (some) very good lenses, viewfinder, dampened mirror & shutter. - More expensive.
    Leica R: Probably over budget (but not as much as you's think). + Esp. Leicaflex have Best MF viewfinder ever, exceptional shutter & mirror dampening, usually exceptional lenses, very low shutter lag. - Price, weight (esp. of lenses).
    M39 screw mount: Affordable ones are Soviet. If you have a well-working one, they can be very nice and reliable.
    Contax: + Zeiss lenses (probably the nicest look of them all).
    Rolleiflex: + like above, Zeiss lenses! - Bodies,while some have very nice viewfinders, etc. are better suited for masochistic sophisticates... ;-)
    Minolta MD: + Some very nice cameras & lenses, very good value now. - Less choice & prestige lenses than some.

Not at all a complete list. I also left out M mount rangefinders as they'd be over budget.
    Basically, find you niche and one of those camera systems will fit it slightly better than others.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the list! This is nice. So through this, I think I could expand my choices to Nikon MF and Olympus OM. Maybe even Leica R and Contax, but those don't sound like very cheap options regarding body and lens. I'll do some more googling today and hopefully that'll prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
    What do you shoot? Total budget? If open to either MF or 35mm, then I'd suggest checking out the Bronica ETRS series. It is a MF camera system that has the ability to swap backs allowing you to use 120, 220, 35mm normal or 35mm panaramic. You get he best of both with this system. A few decades ago I had MF and 35mm systems and decided to go with the ETRS. It gave me both formats with a single camera allowing me to learn one set of lenses, holding, metering, and control layout and reduced the costs associated with having 2 different systems. It actually reduced my investment costs.

Today, a ETRS system can be had for less than many 35mm SLRs and the lenses though excellent are less expensive than many would pay for a Nikon or Canon and certainly less than a Zeiss or Leica lens. Only limitations are top shutter speed of 1/500th but for meit was never a problem as I tend to shoot slower ISO film. One the plus side, each lens has its own shutter so if in the field and you have a shutter problem, you just sub another lens, flash sync is at all speeds, with removable backs, you can shift between color, b&w, slides, differing ISOs or formulas and go between formats, availablility of a shift lens and ability to view either at waist level or eye level depending on the finder. Weight is not that of a feather in any format but using the speedgrip and AEII finder so the camera is equiv to a 35mm layout, the weight is not more than number of totl 35mm cameras and feels no heavier than my Olympus E-510 DSLR while feeling better to hold.

For the cheaper side of the budget, a Yashica FX-3 or FX-3 Super with the later Yashica lenses is a good way to go. The camera has in-camera metering and a mechanical shutter so the battery is only for the meter. The company also made the Contax line of cameras with the Zeiss based Contax lenses. It is rumored the Yashica lenses from this period were formulated from the Zeiss designs. As the Yashica and Contax used the same lens mount, you can even move up to the Contax lenses and mount them directly on the FX-3. Then, when the budget permits go all out and move up to a Contax body such as the RTS series and use the FX-3 as a back up body. The FX-3 is lightweight and so basic as it is a tough little contender. Only weakness is the covering that tends to flake off but, there are aftermarket suppliers to provide a replacement. On mine, I went to a local shoe repair shop several decades ago and bought a leather end piece for something like $2 and redid mine. My 2nd body does not hve the flaking problem and is a much later production unit so they may have corrected the problem.

Even more basic, look for one that accepts the M-42 screw mount as there are a huge quanitiy of lenses available in that mount, including a good supply of Pentax lenses. Because of the design, the lenses with an adaptor can be used on other later cameras. The early Pentax cameras with batteries are not mercury battery dependent so there is not a problem with battery subtitution. The cameras from this period are built to be used as hammers. I just bought a S2a Pentax with the M-42 mount and not meter, not a problem for me as I tend to use a hand held meter, and it is built like a tank. I doubt you could bang it hard enough to dent any part of it.

If you do not care about changing lenses, then the world really opens up for you. The Voightlander Vito series with Color-Skopar lenses are absolutely beautiful to use, rugged and the lens is as good as any later multi-coated when using color film or slides. Another is the Zeiss Ikonta folding series, that when folded are easily pocketable and not much larger than the Rollei 35 and Minox 35 series. Stay away from the models with built-in meters as due to age they tend to be off and getting them serivced can be challenging.
    I read someone else's thread about getting a camera for his birthday or something and the ETRS system did stir up some interest. I didn't really look up pricing or anything, but I was wondering if lens and backs would cost a good amount of money. And I've also read that when you shoot MF SLRs, it'll be hard to shoot subjects that won't wait for you, like street for example.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by edmyloo View Post
    Thanks for the list! This is nice. So through this, I think I could expand my choices to Nikon MF and Olympus OM. Maybe even Leica R and Contax, but those don't sound like very cheap options regarding body and lens. I'll do some more googling today and hopefully that'll prove me wrong.
    Very glad if I have been of help, but just wanted to make clear that "Nikon MF" means Nikon manual focus cameras; that is Nikon F, F2, F3, FM and so on (including your Nikkormat).

AF of course means means autofocus.

P.S. In case no one else said it clearly, medium format SLRs (with the exception of some 645s) are big and heavy beasts which I really wouldn't want around my neck for a few hours.
    Some folding and RF medium format cameras can be fairly light, but they also have their own problems. From what I've read of your requirements so far, probably 35mm is a better choice (you can always change if you really want better quality).
    Last edited by Rol_Lei Nut; 06-19-2011 at 04:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Don't buy a relic. Get the newest model available that fits your needs. Ironically, very capable bodies like the Nikon N90s--superb as a manual focus camera--are dirt cheap now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not just get another Nikkormat FTn? You are already familiar with it and seem to like it.
    Plus they are cheap.

I'd venture guess that it's about 1/2 the weight of the N90.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by edmyloo View Post
    The camera would be around my neck almost every single day and could go anywhere from the streets of Los Angeles to the snow covered Aspens. Keep in mind, I'm not asking for lens recommendations(unless it's a fixed lens system), just a body. I don't really care about weight, but SIZE is a factor. I don't want something the size of a cinderblock around my neck. Build quality is important. It'd also be nice if the lens mount could be easily adapted for use on the Canon EOS systems. A built-in meter would also be nice, but is not necessary. For example, right now I'm considering the Nikon F/F2 or even another Nikkormat. For now, lets just say my budget for a body is about $100.
    I recently revised my reference - of cameras I currently own, that should give you a good idea of body size differences.

Click on link for full res -> Cameras by Year

The smallest being the Pentax MX (495g) followed by the Olympus OM's (490-520g) then the Nikon FM/FA/FE series (590-620g).

Depending on condition, most of these can be found for around your price.

Consider too that the Pentax M and Olympus lenses were made smaller and therefore would be lighter.

Olympus lenses (with adapter) and the Olympus VariMagnifinder can be used with the EOS.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You may also consider this too...

http://www.kenkoglobal.com/cameras.html
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It sounds like you would use a camera in various situations like climbing and street, in these situations I would suggest a fixed lens rangefinder or even something like a Bessa R that would allow you to change lenses. A fixed lens RFwould be compact enough and most are built like tanks. My Konica A2s is about as rugged as they get and still takes wonderful shot even after being in the wilds of Alaska. A Bessa R model would allow you to swap lenses but you would need an adapter to use them on a different body. The good thing about them is that you don't have to spend a ton of money on lenses as there are plenty of Russian made lenses that take beautiful shots. I have several Industar lenses that I use with mine and I use it for street photography. Just my $0.02
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin