Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,974   Posts: 1,558,732   Online: 822

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Which camera and format to invest in?

So, I need some help deciding which camera or format to invest in. The reason I'm posting in the 35mm Cameras section is because I'm leaning slightly towards a 35mm SLR system.

I've been shooting daily with my parent's old Nikkormat FTn for the past few months now and after a little rock climbing accident(small dent on body), I feel like I should spend some money on my own system rather than beat up my parents' old cameras which most likely has some sort of sentimental value to them.

I've taken a quick look at various types of formats and cameras and I feel like a 35mm SLR system would give me the most for the small amount of money I have. I'm open to almost anything, so feel free to chime in if you think a different system would work better or anything.

The camera would be around my neck almost every single day and could go anywhere from the streets of Los Angeles to the snow covered Aspens. Keep in mind, I'm not asking for lens recommendations(unless it's a fixed lens system), just a body. I don't really care about weight, but SIZE is a factor. I don't want something the size of a cinderblock around my neck. Build quality is important. It'd also be nice if the lens mount could be easily adapted for use on the Canon EOS systems. A built-in meter would also be nice, but is not necessary. For example, right now I'm considering the Nikon F/F2 or even another Nikkormat. For now, lets just say my budget for a body is about $100.

I'm SURE I missed some things, so if you guys need any more info, ask. Thanks! :]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you want a not too large well built reliable camera check out a Nikon FM2. Light weight no bells and whistles a simple built-in meter and there should be plenty of lenses available.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    $100? You're probably looking at something from the 1960s or a plastic wunderkind SLR from the 1980s and 1990s. Canon made tons of them, and they're cheap (in both senses of the word) and plentiful. And plastic can get whacked and not leave a dent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want something whose lenses can be adapted for use on the Canon EOS system why not a Canon EOS body?

I obtained a Canon EOS Rebel 2000 with Canon EOS 28mm - 90mm kit zoom lens through Craigslist for less than $50.00.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    There is not a camera on the market that can be considered an investment. The prices are still dropping and its not likely that they will come back up in the near future.
    You would have to find a truly mint example of a desirable camera cheap and hold onto it for a quite a while. The price of admission will be quite high.

Any new camera in production will only depreciate, especially digital, the residual value on a digital after 3-5 years is about 1/3 of the purchase price.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    $100? You're probably looking at something from the 1960s or a plastic wunderkind SLR from the 1980s and 1990s. Canon made tons of them, and they're cheap (in both senses of the word) and plentiful. And plastic can get whacked and not leave a dent.
    1960's is fine. As I mentioned in my post, I'm considering a Nikon F body. The Nikkormat I'm using now should also be around that time period and I couldn't be happier with what it can do. And plastic... I feel like a blow hard enough to dent a Nikkormat might crack a plastic body. x.x

Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    There is not a camera on the market that can be considered an investment. The prices are still dropping and its not likely that they will come back up in the near future.
    You would have to find a truly mint example of a desirable camera cheap and hold onto it for a quite a while. The price of admission will be quite high.

Any new camera in production will only depreciate, especially digital, the residual value on a digital after 3-5 years is about 1/3 of the purchase price.
    I guess invest was the wrong word. I meant to like buy in to an older 35mm system. For personal use and enjoyment.
    Last edited by edmyloo; 06-18-2011 at 11:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still use my Nikon F's, F2, And Nikkormats daile. Also use all my Spotmatics(5): Of course I have around 200 cameras in all formats. It's a hobbie; so it's not a big deal.. I tend to use cameras from the 60' and 70'.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by edmyloo View Post
    1960's is fine. As I mentioned in my post, I'm considering a Nikon F body. The Nikkormat I'm using now should also be around that time period and I couldn't be happier with what it can do. And plastic... I feel like a blow hard enough to dent a Nikkormat might crack a plastic body. x.x

I guess invest was the wrong word. I meant to like buy in to an older 35mm system. For personal use.
    Fs are reasonably priced right now. I have two.I got a cream puff F with a mint lens,FTn finder and neverready case off the bay for less than 100 bucks.
    Most of them that are cheap don't have working finders so just hand meter it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    An Nikon N90s would be a great box to start with.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want light and portable, it's hard to beat 35mm. But, asking which camera to "invest" in is like asking which fruit you should eat. It's all what you like and want.

For 35mm, you can buy N80 or N90 on your budget with some change left over. Heck, I have a N80 for sale at 60 dollars. (and no one wants it!) Manual camera tends to go for more money than these modern bodies.

For medium format, you can almost buy Mamiya M645 if you are patient and don't mind cosmetic blemishes. It's not small but it's manageable even for me. (I'm pretty small)

By the way, don't think of camera as an "investment" unless you meant an investment for your enjoyment. If you are like most of us, it'll be a big expense as your hobby grows.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin