Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,438   Online: 706

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ooh, and I can keep the Hassie for her until she grows in to it...

Yeah, probably what I have at the front of my mind is an inexpensive fully automagic P&S camera.
    As she grows, and if she stays interested, I can help her upgrade as she begins wanting more control
    over her shots.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Fisher price make a camera I have seen a few on eBay. Look there for kids cameras designed to be mistreated and dropped.
    Addicted to caffenol processing
    Will buy stereo cameras, Any Autographic camera with red bellows
    OR Any Vanity or Petitie Kodak Camera -working

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The fisher price camera is rugged but takes terrible digital photos, and the one we got came with a virus preinstalled. Fisher price did make some old film ones from when I was little that worked fantastic. My brother had a 110 fisher price camera and it made the best photos of any 110 camera anyone had ever seen. That's basically a dead format though. Lots of cheap 35mm cameras, but color processing/printing can be sorta hit/miss. If you're set on film, an olympus stylus P&S are good, or you could get a simple holga or it's chinese ebay equivalent.

I just bought my just-turned-6 daughter a $50 refurbed nikon P&S. Pretty color choices and everything. She's capable of using a DSLR decently, but I'm not in the market for such a thing right now, and the P&S is more her size.

She also has the American Girl doll Kit, who has an optional news reporter kit which included a folder camera. I happened to have a real one just like in a pile of lawnsale stuff that didn't sell that someone gave me. It works, but I haven't cleaned up or respooled 120->620 film for it yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only thing a digital has going for it is the ability to (relatively) effortlessly upload and view her images without having to go through all the trouble and expense of having c41 prints done or developing the rolls myself. But... the halfway decent digicams I see are a heck of a lot more expensive than a thrift shop P&S, and won't have nearly the image quality in this price/ability range. I figure if we get three or four rolls through it, and she hasn't lost interest in it, I'll figure out where to go from there. Heck, I have a friend with some recently expired film he wants to get rid of, too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    2 suggestions:
    1) Give her a disposable. Tough to kill, small enough for her to handle and for the prices I've seen can be cheaper than just a roll of film, at least up her in Canada.
    2) I do know much about the Fuji Instax (think it is the name). Pick up the smaller model for her so she can learn with AND have instant gratification so she does not lose interest. I'd suggest a Polaroid 600 or pack camera but for a 4 year old, I think they are a bit too big plus the availability and costs of the films are a disencentive.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Seconded on the Rollei 35, an Olympus Trip or Stylus Epic would be good choices also.
    Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think , printing with kid together is a nicer idea. She will have idea what is negative , developer , paper , enlarger , focusing. Take two pictures , one with digital and same one with film and print with inkjet and print with enlarger. She will quickly got the idea. Take her interest serious and buy a serious camera. But Polaroid seems to me very appealing may be 350 with Fuji Film. She will be impressed with his father how you give her trust and love.

Happy Father's Day ,

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I were you I would check out KEH.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Sincere question for those suggesting a Rollei 35 -

At what age can kids learn to shoot manual? By 8 or so, I could imagine understanding some form of correlation between settings when I took a photo and the results. At 4, I'd expect most kids to just turn knobs and push buttons. It seems like something with automatic exposure would make more sense. Maybe I'm just underestimating 4 year olds though?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin