Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,117   Online: 1047

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikon 85mm 1.8 Nikkor H hood question

I'm looking for one of these lenses, the older version, and the descriptions I read say it has a built in hood. But others recommend getting the HN-7 hood? I can't find a picture of one these lenses showing a telescoping hood. Could one of the Nikon experts here help me out?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nope. The old Nikkor H 85/1.8 doesn't have a built-in hood. The HN-7 can be tricky to find but close enough is really good enough, hood-wise, if it doesn't vignette.

It's a sweet lens that I prefer--along with the sleeper 100/2.8E--over the 105/2.5.
    Last edited by CGW; 06-19-2011 at 11:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks! That explains why no pics. The mir.com site link must have slipped up. I can get a HN-7 from KEH for 7 bucks.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    Thanks! That explains why no pics. The mir.com site link must have slipped up. I can get a HN-7 from KEH for 7 bucks.
    Grab the hood. It also fits the superb old NAI 80-200/4.5.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Here's a good trick with this lens: Backlit, f/2.8, no hood, for the ladies. Try it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin