Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,248   Online: 980

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

SB400 on N90s Nikon

Hey all,

Just curious as to if this flash will work on my nikon?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Too bad you don't own an F6. It's i-TTL with no manual settings, so no dice with other Nikon film cameras. The SB-22/23 speedlights are usually fairly cheap if you want/need a small flash.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Darn. I was planning on borrowing one from a friend. It wouldn't work on P mode on the nikon, would it?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Again, you're SOL. It's a digital-only flash and won't talk to your N90s.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah it's the low end flash for the digitals. I have the SB-15 bought for $2.00, works fine with my F5. Shoud work well with the N90s as the flash system of the N90s is very close to that of the F5.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Yeah it's the low end flash for the digitals. I have the SB-15 bought for $2.00, works fine with my F5. Shoud work well with the N90s as the flash system of the N90s is very close to that of the F5.
    Problem now is the "Strobist" effect that's driven up the price of SB-24/25/26/28 speedlights for studio use over the last couple of years.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The SB 600 will work on the N90s
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an SB 800 and it works on the Nikon N75, Nikon F100 and the Hasselblad 503 CX. Of course there is a large set of features which work on the digital Nikons that do not work with these cameras. However, the SB 800 works well with all three of these cameras.

I do not understand why the SB 400 would not work on the N90.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The SB800 is more flexible and can support different TTL modes along with manual modes. So it can be used on a film body, an early digital body like the D1, or a modern digital body. But the SB400 is a stripped down consumer flash, it does not support the legacy TTL modes, and only works on more modern digital bodies, so it cannot be used with a film body.

Steven

Shooter
    Multi Format
    SB-600 and 800 are the last of do-everything models. 700 and 900 (and 400) are iTTL only. In case of 400, it won't even fire if it isn't connected to iTTL compatible models.

By the way, later models, except for 400 can be used in manual or automatic mode with just about everything. Just not TTL.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin