Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,576   Online: 918

Shooter
    35mm

Value in an Ultra Micro Nikkor lens?

I found a 28mm/1.8 for sale here, and I'm thinking of getting it (don't tell the missus). After doing some research it is rather tempting to pick it up. After all, who wouldn't want one of the highest resolution lenses ever produced? Besides, I still have Nikon bodies that need lenses

The thing is, I can't find any reference for the value of this thing online. There are a bunch of them on ebay for $3k+, but I think that is obviously very overpriced. Anyone know the true market value for these things?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does it have a large enough image circle to even cover a 35mm frame? The Ultra Micro Nikkors were super wicked sharp, and best of all, distortionless. However they were only optimized for a small, well defined image area, for light at specific wavelengths, and for a given distance (I don't think they have focusing rings).

Shooter
    35mm
    It does, but Nikon doesn't guarantee the specs of the lens outside of an area in the middle of the image. It is pretty much a collector's piece, I don't think anybody would carry this lens with them for instance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just saw this auction for 6 28mm f/1.8 at Shopgoodwill.com for $4,568. Somebody got one heck of a deal.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...s-8080138.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CD55 View Post
    I just saw this auction for 6 28mm f/1.8 at Shopgoodwill.com for $4,568. Somebody got one heck of a deal.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...s-8080138.html
    5 of them will be on eBay this week. I'm calling it.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit, under the knife for a bit
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 / Ektar 127
    RB67 Pro S / 50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Does it have a large enough image circle to even cover a 35mm frame? The Ultra Micro Nikkors were super wicked sharp, and best of all, distortionless. However they were only optimized for a small, well defined image area, for light at specific wavelengths, and for a given distance (I don't think they have focusing rings).
    Used at the magnifications recommended, Ultra Micro Nikkors cover4"x5".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What about that short working distance? 100mm lenses are barely acceptable; 50mm are bad enough, but...
    Geo.

Shooter
    35mm
    Weren't these made for printing circuits? Being distortion-free is a big plus optically but how valuable is that photographing non-rectilinear subject matter? Additionally, is there any film available today that can out-resolve these lenses? If not, then what's the point (and I love 28mm with 135)?

These would be a major coup for a collector.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin