Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,717   Online: 793

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll bet the OP is referring to a type screen that cannot show actual DOF for an f/1.2 lens

Some AF screens are not optimized for fast lenses below a certain aperture. (2.8? depending on screen)

Shooter
    35mm
    I use the green dot rangefinder indicator for all of my manual focusing on the F4 and very rarely have an out of focus shot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

50 1.2 focusing.

I didn't read every reply but I have been down this road.

F 1.2 lenses 50 or otherwise have no trouble being focused on an SLR that has its mirror in alignment/. Mirror alignment is most critical with any wide-aperture lens.

That being said, I think I have had mirror alignment issues with ONE of the some 25 Nikon bodies I have used.

The 50 f 1.2 is not very useful to my tastes used wide open. The 1.4 and 1.8 and early 2.0's are sharper wide open and don't suffer from coma and pincushion.

I am a pro... I haven't owned a "wide" 50mm for my Nikon kit for some 10 years.
    The 55 micro AIS f.2.8 Nikor is the sharpest lens in my Nikon kit. I find it funny that I owned a 50 1.2 only to trade the heavy beast for a 50mm f1.4 Af... traded that because it just wasn't used much at all and now the 55 and 105.1.8 both AIS (NOT AF) are the most used lenses with my AF kit.

Take this to the bank from a full time professional.... if you chose the 1.2 have fun.. it's not all bad... just not to my "Zeiss' tastes. It's pretty soft used wide open and so damn heavy.

PS don't even think about using it without a hood... and please don't put a protective filter (skylight etc) over these highly corrected lenses...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 50mm f/1.2 and used to own an F4s, never had any focusing problem with the combo during the times I used them. Though beware, at f/1.2 the focus plane at 1.2 is very much near non-existant on any camera and I've used it on fm2n, f3,f4,f6 and even on d700 so it's not the camera here.

Though on the F6 even though you opened it up all the way to f/1.2, the camera will only show it opened all the way to f/1.4 but rest assured the metering thinks otherwise and calculates in the exposure at f/1.2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oooo Zeiss...... Must confess to being a Zeiss addict, though not for large format work where I'm a Schneider addict!
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper View Post
    Never heard about this before, but I have a handful of F4's, 2x50/1.4, 2x50/1.2, 1x50/1,8 and 1x55/3,5 and I have never noticed anything of the sorts.
    Me neither
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    I am a pro... I haven't owned a "wide" 50mm for my Nikon kit for some 10 years.

PS don't even think about using it without a hood... and please don't put a protective filter (skylight etc) over these highly corrected lenses...
    Isn't a 50mm on a 35mm camera very slightly telephoto, not wide or does wide in this context mean something else?

What is the issue with a protective filter exactly and does this apply to other filters such as yellow etc?

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Just make sure you buy a 9 bladed version of the 1.2, the 7 blade versions don't produce nearly as pleasing results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Isn't a 50mm on a 35mm camera very slightly telephoto, not wide or does wide in this context mean something else?

What is the issue with a protective filter exactly and does this apply to other filters such as yellow etc?

Thanks

pentaxuser
    I was speaking about the lens opening as in greater than f2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin