Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,930   Online: 908

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikkor 50mm f1.2 - focussing options with F4 camera

I have been tempted by various posts on this forum to buy a Nikkor 50mm AIs f1.2 lens. Posters have indicated that because of limitations in the design of Nikon focussing screens, the lens cannot be accurately focussed (except at infinity).

I was wondering if it would be easier to focus below infinity were one to use the aperture stop down lever with the lens set at, say f4, or am clutching at proverbial straws?
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Thingy View Post
    Posters have indicated that because of limitations in the design of Nikon focussing screens, the lens cannot be accurately focussed (except at infinity).
    Huh? Where did this idea originate?

Shooter
    Large Format
    The idea that a particular lens can’t be focused on an SLR is illogical. The basic idea of an SLR is—what you see on the focusing screen is what you get on film.

While the focusing screens of the F4 automatic focus camera is intended for the use of AF lenses, manual focusing is still possible.

You can install the K screen for the same type of screen as used on the F3. This gives you both a central split-image with microprism ring as focusing aids. This makes focusing manual focus lenses on the F4 easier.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/f4.htm

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your F4 may not have a "split screen" type of focusing screen, but that should only make it a bit difficult to manually focus quickly when you first start doing it. I have used my manual focus 50mm f/1.4 on my F4 with no problems, but I am used to not always having a split for focus. Your actual mileage may differ, but that is a really nice lens, and if I didn't have the f/1.4 already I would be all over it.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thingy has been reading way tooooo much about autofocus only type viewfinders on d--- image recording devices.

The worst problem with an f1.2 lens is it has effectively no depth of field when wide open. No, stopping down to f4 won't help, it will just look like it is in focus when it isn't.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never heard about this before, but I have a handful of F4's, 2x50/1.4, 2x50/1.2, 1x50/1,8 and 1x55/3,5 and I have never noticed anything of the sorts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you haven't seen this page, it lists all the F4 type screens that were made. http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...eens/index.htm
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format

Looks like I'll be OK then.

Many thanks for your posts.
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You will be OK - assuming you're not buying an old nail. I'm using an AIS f1.2 on my F5 and focussing is difficult only because of narrow DoF at f1.2. Get your focussing spot on and you won't be disappointed
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Thingy;

(Any relationship to James Arness?)

One nice thing about an f/1.2 lens is that very narrow DoF (Depth of Field). When you get it reasonably close, you know that it will be fine when the lens aperture stops down for the photograph. Helps a lot with eyes that are developing an excessive accumulation of years.

Like so many others, I also do not worry about any problems when focusing this kind of a lens with a "manually focusing camera."
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin