Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,252   Online: 1125

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast
    anm
    Shooter
    35mm

The end of film cameras

This is not one of those posts saying film is dead, but I'm coming from this from a practical standpoint.

The debate about how long will film photography last usually seems to focus on how long people think film manufacturers will continue to make film.

But, surely there is also a question about the cameras themselves.

Over the last year I have happily picked up a Nikon F80, an Olympus Trip 35 and a Canonet QL17 GIII. All three for less than £100 in total.

I may be wrong, but other than Leica, Voightlander and Lomo, there are no film camera manufacturs out there, certainly none mass produced.

So, in 20 years time when I drop my F80 and it breaks, will I look on ebay to find there are none left to buy, or those that are left are rare exotic collectors items.

Should I be stocking up on indestructible metal, mechanical film SLRs?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    To answer your question - if you are interested in 35mm cameras by all means stock up. They are more durable in many ways. Since I primarily use large format cameras I am not worried as these cameras last will over 100 years and can easily be repaired in most cases. I am 82 years young and believe my cameras will outlive me.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Bingo!

This is the weak link in the chain of supply. No doubt about it.

The market will require both MF and AF systems, 35mm and 120, and optics. Prices need to reasonable, not Leica, and not even Bessa. SLR and RF.

And an AF system smaller than the F6.
    Last edited by Aristophanes; 06-22-2011 at 09:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can still buy and use cameras made 100 years ago. What makes you think you won't be able to buy a 1990 film Nikon in 2090?
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    I can still buy and use cameras made 100 years ago. What makes you think you won't be able to buy a 1990 film Nikon in 2090?
    Indeed. And I have made large and medium format cameras within the last few years. That ability is not going to be lost.

If I needed to, I'm sure I could build a 35mm camera too - but I'm not going too!

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    Because Nikon won't make a money-losing camera with an antiquated flip-up mirror in 80 years. And a mechanical shutter. Etc.

Maybe micro-manufacturing on all this sunk cost IP will save the day. Hard to say. To mass produce you need a mass market.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It should be pointed out that Vivitar makes both a low-end Nikon F100 and a K-mount 135 model, both affordable. They have stepped up to fill a void. How long that will last is anyone's guess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a good number of used cameras still around. I'll be long dead when they disapear.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's only the OPs third post and I already fell like killing myself, what does he/she do for an encore ?
    Ben

anm
    Shooter
    35mm
    I'm 'only' 37. I know there are tank like indestructable things that will be around forever, and there are cheap plastic things still being made, but the middle ground of affordable, good quality cameras seems to be the weak point, maybe there's an opportunity there for a camera manufacturer to step in.

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin