Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,850   Online: 1031

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Help me with the focus screen for EOS 1V

Hi ... I just purchased an adapter to use my manual focus Rokkor lenses on my Canon EOS 1V camera and am wondering about the option focus screens to aid in extremely shallow depth of field manual focusing.

I have in my cart at KEH :

EC-B MATT/MICROPRISM/SPLIT (1, N, NRS, 3, D2000), SCREEN

This is the split prism matte screen for the 1 series bodies, right? Some questions:

This will help me focus at say, f 1.2 or 1.4?
    Does this do anything to the autofocus system for when I plan to use my regular autofocus lens? I wouldn't have to change back to the other screen to use them, right? Will my red dots for focus/meter still be on there? I use the focus point as the metering point and would need them to still work (as opposed to using another metering option like matrix or something...).

Thanks for ANY and ALL information!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The EC-B messes with evaluative and center spot metering since the screen is in the way before the meter elements. Center-weighted average and non-center spot work fine.

AF is unaffected as the submirror sends light to the BASIS sensors.

The split prism works OK but note that, despite the description there is no ring of microprisms around the split prism like in many split screens. All you get is the split and the matt area.

The EC-S postdates the 1V (meant for the IIN and later) but works fine. You might need to add a small EC value to compensate but overall it doesn't affect metering and gives an excellent matt on which to manually focus. I find it is more accurate than the split prism.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah ... thank you so much! That totally answers my question - I will go with the EC-S!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sorry to bump this old thread, but how did it go Katie? I'm thinking about picking up EC-S or EC-B screen for my 1v and 5dm2 as well. I'm hoping to be able to accurately manually focus with f/1.4 and f/1.2 lenses. Is that a reasonable expectation?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I actually went with the Ee-S screen and UT works great with extremely shallow depth if field. If you intend to use slower lenses, though, (over f/4) it might be a tad darker than you are used to. I recommend it personally though!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Didn't realize the Ee-S screen works with the 1V. Does it affect metering in anyway?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Cool, thanks. Are you sure it was the Ee-S? Since those are for 5Ds.. I think all the E*-S are the same, the ground glass is very thin which lets one see sharpness below f2.8, so the first letters are just a question of picking the right one. I have only one lens slower than f2.8, the 24-105/4 so I hope that will be fine.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Interesting thread. I currently use an Ec-B in my 1N. While this screen works well both in terms of focusing and metering, I would prefer the less obstructed view of an E*-s type screen.

It never occurred to me that the screens for the 1N/1V and the 5D may be interchangeable. I just googled up some images of the Ec-B and the Ee-s, and indeed they seem identically shaped, i.e. with notches in all the same places. It seems only reasonable to assume that the Ee-s will fit the 1N/1V series as well.

The 5D (see manual p. 158) has C.Fn-00 that sets a fixed exposure compensation for every available screen (Ee-A, Ee-D, Ee-S), Ee-A (standard precision matte) being the default. For the 1N/1V one will have to set this compensation by means of the ISO or the exposure compensation.

Now the question is: what is the compensation value? Easy to find out if you own a 5D (I obviously do not), even with only one screen available. Just pick a static scene, note the metering, change C.Fn-00 to 2 and see by how much the metering changes. Anybody here with a 5D willing to do that?

Did you figure out the compensation Katie? Can you share it with us?

(I did a search for that compensation value but while there is a lot of talk about the different screens on photo.net, dpreview, etc., nobody seems to mention any particular EV compensation value.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd love to get a more precise screen for my 1V for manual focus lenses. However, I don't want to give up metering capabilities, so I've steered away from the prism screens...

If the Ee-S screen works fine, I'm going to order one. Especially since I'm guessing Canon will stop making them now that the 5DIII doesn't accept interchangeable screens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I ordered the Eg-S screen for the 5dm2, when it comes I'll see if it is worth it and decide if I want to buy one for the 1v as well. I still think the 1v screen is the Ec-S, not the Ee-S though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin