Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,440   Online: 703

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    The F3 is definitely a beautiful camera. Perhaps it's design works for some but not for others.

One of the surprises of the F801s is the high eyepoint viewfinder it comes with. It's fantastic!! Especially as a glasses wearer - I can see everything in the screen and it's nice and bright! Add the electronic rangefinder and I'm golden. If I go for the F3 in the future, it'll definitely be an "High Eyepoint" model.

Did any other Nikon semi-pro or pro cams come with High Eyepoint finders?

A word of advice about the rangefinder: I found it didn't work all the time, mainly in low light. Thats one advantage of a split prism.
    Good to know So far, it seems pretty spot-on in most of my low-light shooting but we'll see how the film turns out when I get it back!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dugrant153 View Post

Did any other Nikon semi-pro or pro cams come with High Eyepoint finders?
    I believe the F4 DP 20 finder is classed as high eyepoint, with 22mm relief.
    There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon F had the action finder with 60mm of eye relief. See: http://www.mir.com.my/michaeliu/came...ders.htm#actin
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm

Sorry to bump this thread

So with my f90x down, I decided to go for an F3 to compliment my very nice f801s. I found a type E screen and tried it. Wow. Its pretty awesome!

The one that I was eyeing this whole thread (with very slight brassing) has a serial no starting with 120xxxxx. From reading other threads, sounds like this model is very old.... Like from the early 80s.

What are your thoughts on a cam with this serial no?
    And just to clarify, by investment I mean something that i can use for years (not a shelf queen)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Regardless of the calendar, if its working well now it will probably work well for years, so i say buy the darn thing and go shoot some film!
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by zk-cessnaguy View Post
    I believe the F4 DP 20 finder is classed as high eyepoint, with 22mm relief.
    all pro Nikon after the F3 have high eyepoint finder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So with my f90x down, I decided to go for an F3 to compliment my very nice f801s. I found a type E screen and tried it. Wow. Its pretty awesome!
    You might like the F3's P screen, too. It features a grid down the centre, both horizontal and vertical, but keeps the manual focus aids that the E screens seem to lack.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    The one that I was eyeing this whole thread (with very slight brassing) has a serial no starting with 120xxxxx. From reading other threads, sounds like this model is very old.... Like from the early 80s.

What are your thoughts on a cam with this serial no?
    I would try to get a serial # no lower than 157xxxx or so. Somewhere around SN 155xxxx, Nikon improved the exposure lock button. Earlier cameras had a button that loosens and pops out, never to be found again (Ask me how I know this!).

Also, later serial number camera bodies have other minor improvements that were added over time. For example, I bought an F3 when they first came out, and it had a much larger double exposure lever that tended to snag on the strap, etc. There were a few other issues that developed with the early F3, but that was so long ago, I've forgotten what they were.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    First, it won't be an "investment" in that shape. Second, you'd do way better for that kind of change in looking at a late AF model like an N90s or F100.
    Except, unless you can upgrade the focusing screen, AF models are c**p when focusing manually....
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    Except, unless you can upgrade the focusing screen, AF models are c**p when focusing manually....
    Your opinion, though not my experience with late model Nikon AF bodies.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin