Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,316   Posts: 1,536,729   Online: 1026

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    ...Finally, Nikons are very Hemingway. A mint Nikon is pretty. A brassed up Nikon is lovely.
    Yes, yes, yes. You were the first in this thread to mention this long held conviction.
    Howard Tanger

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by djacobox372 View Post
    I've owned just about every nikon film body made, and the f3 is my least favorite of thier pro or prosumer line--mostly due to their horrible LCD metering readout. I woud recommend an f100 or f2as instead.
    Shooting in aperture priority the read out is only for occasional reference.Its built in light for reading at night is tremedously helpful and is one of the reasons the F3 is my just about my favorite film SLR.
    I like my F2 but it just doesn't quite make it for many applications, not to mention I got my F3 cheap cheap cheap some brassing from being in the neverready case don't bother me.
    F2s with any finder are way over priced, its disgusting what people are paying on the bay for them.
    REVOLT! don't pay more than 100 bucks for a F2!!! teach sellers a lesson!The F2 premium in price is because of the ability to use readily available batteries and the falsly held notion that mechanical cameras are some how superior to electronic release cameras. If you want to buy into that snobbery be my guest, want to use a great camera, get a F3.

Shooter
    35mm
    I had a Nikon F2AS. It was my very first camera and I got it back when it was just introduced in 1977. It had been stolen from me and I do miss it but the F3 is the camera that I would use when I need to take pictures. I also have an F5 and really I found the F5 is slow to use.

Shooter
    35mm
    In my opinion modern focusing screens don't show the full defocus of fast lenses like f/1.2, f/1.4 etc. The screens in F4, F5 and newer cameras are optimized for 2.8 or slower zooms. I find it hard to acquire accurate focus with such screens, and feel that older screens from F/F2/F3 era work better with me with fast glass.

Altough the viewfinder image with modern screens appears to be in focus, this is not often the case when I see the final result on film

Also the defocused area appears weird, and highlights have roughly hexagonal patterned shapes instead of smooth circular shapes. Sometimes you can see rainbow colors in your viewfinder. As a final insult, the modern screens don't appear to be any brighter than old screens when you use fast F1.4 glass.

I paid 150€ including shipping from my chrome F2AS in nice shape. Minimal brassing in viewfinder, otherwise very nice. F2 has better controls, better light meter and better readout than F3. F3 offers lesser resistance while advancing film, A mode and smaller and lighter camera compared to F2. I have both and I use both, so I don't need to spend time deciding which is best for me :P
    Last edited by Ihmemies; 07-19-2011 at 06:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Film is dead. | Flickr

Shooter
    35mm
    We used to take new bodies and rub them with wet sand to give them that well used breassy look so other pros would not think we were rookies, now I hate every scratch, lol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The F3 is a superb machine.

I was a repair tech in a Nikon shop around the time the F4 was introduced, and we got one before they were released to the stores. I hated it. It just does not feel right.

The F3 will do anything you could want to do, and do it better than most other cameras. It was produced during the period when Nikon was totally committed to quality, and the products of that era reflect that dedication.

But like any product, it can be the victim of abuse. I would never touch one that showed significant signs of wear. These cameras were used by pros who thought of them only as tools to do a job, not as something to be cared for. Some pros take better care of their equipment than others, but I've repaired an awful lot of them that looked like they were run over by a freight train.

- Leigh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I had a couple F3 cameras back in the "bigger is better" days (big lenses, motor drives, accessories, etc.), and they never let me down. Rock-solid reliable, and wonderful performers, I regretted selling them. But I traded my art student life for a life in the Army.

Now my main (and only) Nikon is an old S3 rangefinder, which I love for its style and simplicity. Were I to buy another Nikon SLR, it would probably be an F2 with the eye-level finder, which has controls similar to my S3.

The best of the F3 models was the F3 Professional, which came with a titanium HP-type finder fitted with a flash hot shoe. Here in Japan these sell for $400 to $700. I have no idea what they go for elsewhere.

Shooter
    35mm
    So after much searching and saving and selling, I have come upon a really decent condition Nikon F3HP! Little bits of brassing but overall close to excellent condition. And for not much more than the first one I was looking at at the beginning of this thread.

May need a foam adjustment soon though! Otherwise it's great.

Just saying thanks to all for the replies as it helped me pick out this good one! Serial is 130xxx

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Buying a nice single malt is an investment in myself.
    And there's no better way to treat yourself well. Make mine a Mortlach...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Serial #13 is really quite early in the production run of F3. I had a #12 which is the starting point. It was heavily used by at least 3 other working photojournalists, so much so that one of the times I sent in to NPS it came back with a new top plate with a new serial number of #19 which would put it at the far end of the production run, so sometimes you never know what you are getting. Still functions perfectly.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin