Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,838   Online: 893

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm Pan
    For Vancouver, BC, guys, there is nice, used F3hp with MD4 for $199 in Beau photo. It belonged to ABC photo lab where it was used as copy camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Your opinion, though not my experience with late model Nikon AF bodies.
    Same for me. I have an N8008s (F801s), and the viewfinder works just fine for manual focusing. The screen is not really a ground glass type of matte, as the out of focus images show a regular sort of prismatic pattern, which can make it harder to judge depth of field until accustomed. It's a nice viewfinder and a nice screen.

Regarding the F3, I always look for signs of wear on the pressure plate. If I see any, I don't buy the camera. The back is interchangeable, so it is not foolproof, but I doubt many old cameras have been given newer backs. A little while ago, in a similar discussion, someone mentioned looking where the film cartridge goes and look for worn paint where the film spool makes contact.
    Last edited by lxdude; 12-17-2011 at 06:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post

The F3 will do anything you could want to do, and do it better than most other cameras. It was produced during the period when Nikon was totally committed to quality, and the products of that era reflect that dedication.
    - Leigh
    Except for that @$#%&^+*)! illumination button! Whoever let that one get through should have been canned on general principle. I would rather have been annoyed at the F3 not having an illuminator than annoyed at trying to use that one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F3HP is a camera one can easily fall in love with; regardless it's pecadillos.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I almost ran over one of those in Texas.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I almost ran over one of those in Texas.
    That's the only thing, next to yellow lines, you'll ever find in the middle of the road in Texas.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Same for me. I have an N8008s (F801s), and the viewfinder works just fine for manual focusing. The screen is not really a ground glass type of matte, as the out of focus images show a regular sort of prismatic pattern, which can make it harder to judge depth of field until accustomed. It's a nice viewfinder and a nice screen.

Regarding the F3, I always look for signs of wear on the pressure plate. If I see any, I don't buy the camera. The back is interchangeable, so it is not foolproof, but I doubt many old cameras have been given newer backs. A little while ago, in a similar discussion, someone mentioned looking where the film cartridge goes and look for worn paint where the film spool makes contact.
    That was me in a thread on FE bodies. Saw an F3 recently where the paint was worn to bare metal there. Body deserved a decent burial, too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Good repair shop to CLA an F3? Any ideas?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=26.278346,-80.250062
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format

My old Leica M4 has had so much film run through it that you can see an imprint on the pressure plate. The F3 is designed for harder use, so I don't expect a worn pressure plate to mean that the camera doesn't have a lot of life left in it. I have repaired a number of old cameras, and I have found that those which have seen a lot of use tend to work better than those who have spent years (or decades) sitting in a bag or on a shelf.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kivis View Post
    Good repair shop to CLA an F3? Any ideas?
    KEH has a repair department www.keh.com

They certainly have experience with the F3.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin