Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,450   Posts: 1,570,117   Online: 935

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    35mm
    I agree with everyone else who said go with the f4. I have an f4s in super mint condition that I got for 250. You just have to really shop around . This is my go to slr and feels amazing in the hand. Extremely well built and solid feeling. The viewfinder kicks ass and focusing is awesome. The meter is quite accurate and you will really enjoy the illumination feature within the viewfinder follow light situations. Get one!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love my old brassed F3, perfect compliment to my FM2 (with honey-comb shutter!). I got both for under $150 each. The F4 bodies going on eBay for just $150-200 or so lately.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can't say I don't love my F4; but so do I my F3
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    The HP finder is best if you wear eyeglasses when shooting.
    It's an expensive luxury imo espesially if you shoot bare eyed.

KEH has bargain non HP's for around 130.00 and would probably be in comparable condition to what you're describing.
    The HP finder is great if you use sunglasses as well. I have nicked and scratched sunglasses in the past while using other film cameras during day shots.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've had a week and a bit to get the hang of this camera. I really like it buuuut... I'm finding that the screen that comes with it (A screen?) is not all that good on my eyes... or should I say that my eyes aren't that great and, even with diopter adjustment, I find it hard to focus in dark/low contrast situations and even during daylight! It's a bit of a drag so I'm hoping I can get some suggestions as to a good screen? Need something that has a good amount of "snappiness" to it and allow for very quick focusing in less-than-ideal situations.

I've tried the E screen but without the microprisms it doesn't work for me. My eyes can't tell "sharp" from "very sharp" for that screen unfortunately unless I rack it back and forth quite a few times.

Any suggestions would be great!

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Get an F, after the F Nikon went downhill - Especially get an F with the high eyepoint finder - When I retired I got rid of my metered and newer Nikons and kept my Fs, all of them

Only one ever died on me, that was while documenting the WA karri forest logging protests - An environmentalist, Geoff, was asleep on the ground with his shorts gaping. Peta from Northcliffe picked up one of my Nikon Fs and photographed Geoff's Jewels - That was the last exposure that camera ever made, it was dismantled and re-assembled three times, nothing was worn, nothing was broken, nothing was distorted, but nothing would make it work again - I left it with the repair man - I hope its bits have not spread the contagion
    Last edited by John Austin; 12-30-2011 at 05:23 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Better English grammar

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any further suggestions on a good repair shop for an F3? The only one I saw that anyone listed was KEH. Mine needs a serious cleaning and freshening-up after a year or so on the shelf.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any of the Nikon Authorized repair centers should be able to do a good job for you. They do for me. I use one in CA but there is a list at the Nikon site that will have one more local to you.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-...pair-List.page

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got a backup F3HP that gets used about every 18 months, no issues.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    I've got a backup F3HP that gets used about every 18 months, no issues.
    Mine doesn't like me that much, I suppose. I've got deteriorated foam all over the place, and it just needs a good, thorough cleaning. The shutter and meter might be fine, but I'd rather have her in tip-top shape if someone's going to be redoing the foam anyway. I'm checking into KEH, and two other places that are semi-local.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin