Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,769   Posts: 1,516,492   Online: 845

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Brassed Nikon F3 worthwhile?

So after delving into a Nikon FM2 and being farely impressed with the build quality and the wide-known (or so it seems on the net) reliability of this calibre of camera, I was looking to grab a Nikon F3 as my main monster.

I would think these two cameras would be good long term investments.

My question is: I found a Nikon F3 (non-hp) that seems to be in pretty good shape and is within my price range of under $200. However, there is brassing around the eyepiece and brassing on the bottom. However, the mirror foam looks to be brand new and so does the film bay foam. All else looks to check out.

Does this sounds like a decent investment, even for something so "brassed"?
    Last edited by dugrant153; 06-24-2011 at 04:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the price is good, and these cameras are only getting more expensive. As to the brassing, don't worry about it. You already know what a tank this thing is. If the foam looks good, use it. When it needs a CLA or service, get it done. If you don't abuse it, this camera will outlive you.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    First, it won't be an "investment" in that shape. Second, you'd do way better for that kind of change in looking at a late AF model like an N90s or F100.

Shooter
    35mm
    The main reason for me thinking F3 is the viewfinder (but the "hp" version is way too over my budget at the moment). I've considered the AF models but are the viewfinders large? My experience with other brands is that AF cameras generally have poor viewfinders/screens for focusing.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dugrant153 View Post
    The main reason for me thinking F3 is the viewfinder (but the "hp" version is way too over my budget at the moment). I've considered the AF models but are the viewfinders large? My experience with other brands is that AF cameras generally have poor viewfinders/screens for focusing.
    The finders on the N90s and the earlier 801s/8008s are remarkably good, especially the N90s/F90x which are dirt cheap now. Their screens are either plain matte or grid with no split image focus aid like the K screens on MF models. They do, however, have excellent electronic rangefinders that confirm focus, making them especially nice to use with manual lenses.

Most F3s I see now are veterans of years of hard use. Their legendary toughness doesn't mean they're impervious to wear and tear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might want to also consider the F4. Personally, I think it's the last AF camera made where you can actually manually focus without fear and loathing.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The HP finder is best if you wear eyeglasses when shooting.
    It's an expensive luxury imo espesially if you shoot bare eyed.

KEH has bargain non HP's for around 130.00 and would probably be in comparable condition to what you're describing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken N View Post
    You might want to also consider the F4. Personally, I think it's the last AF camera made where you can actually manually focus without fear and loathing.
    I'll also second the F4. I think it's a very handsome, solidly built camera that still has knobs for everything and where you'd expect them to be. I had an F4s for a while and I really regret not keeping it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    First, it won't be an "investment" in that shape.
    It may be considered an investment in yourself . . .

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    It may be considered an investment in yourself . . .
    Buying a nice single malt is an investment in myself.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin