Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,169   Online: 778

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Comparing the FM3A to the XD-11 doesn't seem to be real fair, considering the difference in age between the two cameras and the difference in price. A quick check of eBay indicates that FM3As are going for somewhere north of $500 to over a thousand bucks, and nice looking XD-11s are around $100. The FM3A is a generation or three newer than the XD - of course there are going to be evolutionary changes in camera design. Heck, why not compare the XD (or the FM3A, for that matter) to an F6?

The XD is a fine camera, with a devoted following. They are of an age where just about any body you pick up is going to need a CLA, which solves most of the problems people have mentioned in this thread, including the shutter-lag issue. (As an aside, the shutter lag issue is caused by an air-damper incorporated into the shutter mechanism, which, when working properly, makes for a very quiet, very low vibration shutter actuation.)

Rokkor lenses are as good (some say better) as any of their contemporaries and, unless you go for the more exotic or cult-favorite ones, are a lot cheaper than comparable Nikkors, due to the cachet (and the F-mount) of the Nikon lenses. The Micro 4/3 crowd are now in the competition for Minolta lenses, so prices have gone up some. You can still get a nice kit of standard Rokkor primes between 28mm and 200mm for remarkably low prices, if you shop around some.

I have an SRT-102, an XE-7 and an XD-11, plus a modest kit of Rokkor primes, which will last me for as long as it matters. All of them are great cameras in their own way, they all are reliable and work great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What lenses do you want to use and at what price? My assumption is you can get minolta lenses cheaper but harder to find.
    Your question is like asking do you want a Chevy Impala or an AMC Matadore (Minolta would be the much rarer Matador). Not too many people will know much about both.
    Just buy something and enjoy it...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by upnorthcyclist View Post
    (As an aside, the shutter lag issue is caused by an air-damper incorporated into the shutter mechanism, which, when working properly, makes for a very quiet, very low vibration shutter actuation.)
    Thanks for clearing that up. No doubt the XD-11's shutter has a relatively light touch to it only now I have an idea why.

During that time, there must have been a big deal made of vibration from pressing the shutter. My Yashica FR (1977) did away with the mechanical connection of the shutter completely and just used an electrical switch stating this completely removes vibration from that action!

Shooter
    35mm
    I mis-spoke. The damper is for the mirror action. When it gets dirty, it slows down the mirror-up part of the shutter release cycle, causing a lag after the shutter is released. It is meant to cut down on the vibration caused by mirror-slap. Sorry.

Shooter
    35mm
    I really don't like that a lot of manufacturers omitted the MLU control "due to better mirror dampening" reason.

Shooter
    35mm
    I understand that they are different cameras. My question was more about the quality of construction. I was amazed by the quality of the XD 11. I always hear people say that Nikons are made so rugged and well. I do not see many differences between them. I am impressed with the Minolta overall quality.

Quote Originally Posted by upnorthcyclist View Post
    Comparing the FM3A to the XD-11 doesn't seem to be real fair, considering the difference in age between the two cameras and the difference in price. A quick check of eBay indicates that FM3As are going for somewhere north of $500 to over a thousand bucks, and nice looking XD-11s are around $100. The FM3A is a generation or three newer than the XD - of course there are going to be evolutionary changes in camera design. Heck, why not compare the XD (or the FM3A, for that matter) to an F6?

The XD is a fine camera, with a devoted following. They are of an age where just about any body you pick up is going to need a CLA, which solves most of the problems people have mentioned in this thread, including the shutter-lag issue. (As an aside, the shutter lag issue is caused by an air-damper incorporated into the shutter mechanism, which, when working properly, makes for a very quiet, very low vibration shutter actuation.)

Rokkor lenses are as good (some say better) as any of their contemporaries and, unless you go for the more exotic or cult-favorite ones, are a lot cheaper than comparable Nikkors, due to the cachet (and the F-mount) of the Nikon lenses. The Micro 4/3 crowd are now in the competition for Minolta lenses, so prices have gone up some. You can still get a nice kit of standard Rokkor primes between 28mm and 200mm for remarkably low prices, if you shop around some.

I have an SRT-102, an XE-7 and an XD-11, plus a modest kit of Rokkor primes, which will last me for as long as it matters. All of them are great cameras in their own way, they all are reliable and work great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You should get your hands on the XE-7. You could drive nails with it and it has such a smooth film advance and a quiet shutter.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    This website has an interesting perspective based on the timeline of SLRs from Minolta, Canon, Nikon and Pentax from 1957 to 1982 -> http://minolta.eazypix.de/slrtable/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    You should get your hands on the XE-7. You could drive nails with it and it has such a smooth film advance and a quiet shutter.
    SSSSSSsssssssshhhhhhhhhh

Guitstik, Don't ever recommend the XE-7.

Ron

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format

When's the debut of your YouTube footage doing just that?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin