Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,348   Online: 868

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow, thanks for all of the input everyone! It is very much appreciated. There's definitely a need for speed as far as I'm concerned which was the reason I posted my question in the first place. I'm somewhat surprised that Nikon never made a faster lens with Canon producing the f0.95 and Leica's f1 Noctilux (not to mention the current f0.95 version). Lets not let this spiral into a conversation about people's opinions of those lenses. There are some that love them and some that don't, nuff said. Are there any f-mount lenses made by other manufactures that exceed Nikon's f1.2 limit? I'm not talking about modifying lenses here, I mean lenses made by third party manufactures specifically for the Nikon f-mount.

As to the metered prisms, any of the Photomic, Photomic T, Photomic TN, and Photomic FTn prisms will fit the original F body? Just clarifying.
    Francesco Fragomeni
    www.FrancescoFragomeni.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragomeni View Post

As to the metered prisms, any of the Photomic, Photomic T, Photomic TN, and Photomic FTn prisms will fit the original F body? Just clarifying.
    Depends on when your body was made.

Early F bodies require modification for the FTN finders to fit.
    The other Photomics should fit all bodies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragomeni View Post
    Hi,

All of these were F prisms. However, there are compatibility issues. My Photomic FTn (c. '69) will not mount on my earlier body (c. '67) which has a Photomic T, for one. And I do not believe that anything other than the original Photomic will mount on pre-Photomic T bodies, unless there is a red dot denoting modification of the earlier body by the company.

I think all of the compatibility problems are rearward. My T prism from my '67 Nikon F mounts on my '69 F body just fine, but as I mentioned, the '67 body will not take the FTn finder from the '69 Nikon F. This is cured by filing the nameplate. But I am thinking that taking the nameplate off might work as well. (I don't care, myself. I don't feel a need to ever swap them, and I don't use the meters anyhow. I just tried it once because I was curious.)

You can also mount F2 finders on an F if you remove the Nikon nameplate from the camera.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-28-2011 at 10:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My F was made in 1965.
    Francesco Fragomeni

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, your camera is either:

1) made for the original Photomic head, and not modified to accept the T heads (and will also take the later TNs)
    2) made for the original Photomic head, and modified to accept the T heads (and will also take the later TNs)
    3) made for the Photomic T head

T and TN heads have the same exact compatibility with bodies TMK.

If option 1, it needs the original Photomic prism. But that is good; IMO it is the best in-camera light meter ever made, because it is actually an incident meter when you put the disc on (or reflected or narrow field if desired).

If option 2, then you can also use the Photomic T and the Photomic TN, I believe. But not the Photomic FTn without also modifying (or maybe removing) the nameplate. And it can probably also take the original Photomic prism (the one that I think is so great), though I do not know that for sure.

If option 3, it's compatibility is the same as with option 2. The only difference is that it came from the factory specifically to take the Photomic T head, instead of being modified to take it.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If someone can give you a picture of early vs. late F's the difference is at the back under the eyepiece. on the newer camera, there is a wider section to clear the eyepiece of the meter head.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go here
    http://www.destoutz.ch/typ_mirror-boxes.html#type5

You need mirror housing type 5 to fit the FTn
    Look at the ridge (right in front of where eyepiece would be) where the finder snaps on. The ridge is cut back on the later bodies.

There is also a nameplate issue. Early nameplates will not take the front 2 fingers that hold the Ftn finder in place.

I think the FT and earlier finders will fit all bodies but am not 100% sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    I think the FT and earlier finders will fit all bodies but am not 100% sure.
    You mean the Photomic T finder, right? There was no FT finder technically, though "FT" is a common nickname for the whole "Nikon F Photomic T" camera.

If so, it and the TN finder share compatibility TMK. But they are not compatible with non-modified early bodies that do not have the cutout for the finder. They will go forward onto bodies that came with an FTn finder, though (but not vice versa).

As for the lens, if you need f/1.2, you basically have two main choices within reason. (I have counted out the Noct, because that is a rich crazy person's lens. ) You have the 55mm f/1.2 and the 50mm f/1.2 AI-S. The choice will come down to budget, and to what comes along and for what price. I say if you can afford it, go for the AI-S hands down. If you can't swing 4 or 5 hundred bucks, and you find a 55mm f/1.2 for a few hundred, go for it. Also go for the 55 if you don't mind slightly soft images with distortion and aberrations.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-28-2011 at 10:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My F matches Mirror Housing Type 4 on the page Bruce linked to.
    Francesco Fragomeni

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I meant Tn, T, Photomic with switch and Photomic with flag, whew hahah.
    All these should fit the non cutout type ridge...correct?

It's crazy but the info is out there if you look.

The only one that is a problem is the FTn (not the Tn). It needs the shorter cutout ridge, and the nameplate with beveled lower corners.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin