Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,745   Online: 939

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

As I understand it, it is only the early bodies made for the original Photomic finder that have a cutout that is too small. Thus, these bodies, if unmodified, will not take anything but the original Photomic head.

My FTn head fits into the back of my body that was designed for a T head (thus also a TN head). It is the FTn clips and the name plate that interfere when I try this, not the rear eyepiece cutout.

Again, there is the original Photomic head, the Photomic T head, the Photomic TN head, and the Photomic FTn head.
    To refer to the entire camera with any of these heads mounted, insert "Nikon F" in front of the name of the metering head. The flag is only on the original Photomic head, and only on early ones, not on any of the models with letters after "Photomic." Late Photomic heads used a switch, as did all that followed.

So, three main varieties:

1) Photomic, which is the only one that works fine with the small cutout - early models had a flag, later models a switch
    2) Photomic T/Photomic TN - identical compatibility AFAIK - both need large cutout - working difference is metering pattern
    3) Photomic FTn - rotate aperture ring to index the lens - uses clips on front - requires large cutout and beveled nameplate

I believe that each main type will go forward without problems, but neither will go back without modification.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-28-2011 at 11:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    2 f's
    When you say designed for the T, what type ridge does the mirror box/body have?

I'm trying to sort this out once and for all.
    So the old ridge style will interfere with anything but the "Photomic" finder (the first 2 types)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    2 f's

So the old ridge style will interfere with anything but the "Photomic" finder (the first 2 types)?
    When I said designed for the T/TN, I meant a body with the large cutout, but without beveled edges on the nameplate.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    50 1.2, or non F Nikkor will be the Nikon TV-Nikkor 35mm f/0.9 . Fastest Nikkor ever made.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    2 f's

Here is a back-to-back comparison of a camera designed for a T finder and a camera designed for an FTn finder. Both have the large rear cutout. (I just shot these with my computer camera so it would be quick and easy.)

The source of interference when trying to mount an FTn head on an earlier body is with the nameplate's lack of bevels, not with the rear cutout.

The only bodies with the small cutout were those made prior to the T head. And many of those were modified to take the later heads. But even if they have been modified, they will not take the FTn head without beveling the nameplate.

In short, the only bodies compatible with every metering head are the bodies designed for FTn heads, or those modified to mimic them.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well the nameplate wasn't what was confusing me.
    The FTn is the only finder with the 2 front fingers to hold it so that requires a beveled nameplate.
    Someone enlightened me on this aspect just the other night in a similar thread.

What I was confused on was if all the pre FTn finders required the cutout or just the Ftn finder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well the nameplate wasn't what was confusing me.
    The FTn is the only finder with the 2 front fingers to hold it so that requires a beveled nameplate.
    Someone enlightened me on this aspect just the other night in a similar thread.

What I was confused on was if all the pre FTn finders required the cutout or just the Ftn finder.
    Hi,

The T, TN, and FTn (in chronological order) require the larger cutout. The original Photomic head does not. The FTn also requires the beveled nameplate, because of the fingers you talked about.

What I am not sure of is whether the FTn will mount on a camera without a nameplate. I forgot to check if there are internal pins on both sides of the glass when I just had the prism off. If so, it should not require a nameplate. If not, then the fingers are absolutely necessary to hold the prism on.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay, thanks.
    That sums things up for me.

Sorry to the OP for slight derail...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I couldn't stand it, so I went and took off my FTn prism again and had a look. Yes, there are pins on both sides of the glass. So, the fingers should not be necessary to hold the prism on. This should mean that the FTn head will fit on bodies designed for the T or TN finder if the nameplate is removed.

I don't think it is a derailment. It is necessary info if the OP is going to track down a metered head that will work on his camera.

He needs to first take the eye level prism off and look at the rear notch to see if it is big or small. (For comparison, both of the ones I posted above are big notches.) If it is small, he needs the original Photomic head; nothing else will fit. If it is big, he needs the T or the TN head for a direct, no-hassle fit. And based on what I just saw, the FTn head will also work, if the nameplate is removed. But I have not tried that yet. (As I said, no need for me.)

When it comes down to picking which finder, I will opine that the original Photomic is the best. It is incident, reflected, or reflected with a narrow pattern. And it works on all Nikon F bodies, so the OP doesn't even have to consider what type of body he has. It is not TTL, though. I find that better, while others do not.

If a TTL finder is preferred, my first choice would be the TN finder. It is a center-weighted pattern, while the T is a simple averaging meter. And the only incompatibility is with early, non-modified Fs with the small notch. The FTn is center weighted as well, but it is also the most incompatible of all the F Photomic metering heads. You need a late F body to use it; if you don't have a late body, you need to modify your camera for the FTn head.

If you post a picture of the rear notch, Fragomeni, we can tell you whether or not it is the large one or the small one.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the Nikkor S 50mm f1.4, nice creamy bokeh and tack sharp if I can nail the focus lol
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / A2

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin