Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,650   Online: 878

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And I learned that '2F/2F' knows a LOT more about Nikons that I had realized.
    Maybe I should be asking him all of my Nikon questions?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    And I learned that '2F/2F' knows a LOT more about Nikons that I had realized.
    Maybe I should be asking him all of my Nikon questions?

Ken
    Thanks, Ken...but I am by no means a collector nut or "expert." I learned a lot about the prisms specifically (through the Internet and my repair guy) when I had the same questions as the OP: which F prisms will work on my F cameras. I learned about the lenses by trying them (well, except the Noct, of course; I've never even seen one, let alone shot with one). An encyclopedia of Nikon I definitely am not! I just learn what I need to learn – and do it thoroughly – when I need to learn it.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-30-2011 at 08:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There was also a Process Nikkor 85mm f1.0 Macro large format lens mounted in rotating focus barrel. However, it used a T mount to couple to the camera. There was one on ebay for $3200 a few months ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just wanted to chime in as the OP to say that the posts in this thread, including the posts past #4, have been very helpful and most have been right on target as far as my question goes. I'm confident that the info here will help a lot of people in the future. CGW has the right to an opinion. That opinion was stated and then challenged. Who cares really? I'm requesting that the sidetrack that caused be steered back on topic, after all I'm still reading this thread as it grows and while I find the on-topic posts interesting and educational I cannot say the same for the responses to a certain comment. Back to the point please! Thanks all !
    Francesco Fragomeni
    www.FrancescoFragomeni.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can't speak for anyone else but I care.

It would be a drag (guess maybe I am a geezer) if apug denigrated to the type of disrespect you see on DPP or even FM.

Don't agree with the "who really cares" attitude but respect your right to express it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can't speak for anyone else but I care.

It would be a drag (guess maybe I am a geezer) if apug denigrated to the type of disrespect you see on DPP or even FM.

Don't agree with the "who cares' attitude but respect your right to express it.
    Totally understandable. I'm just saying as the OP I'd appreciate it if the thread could be kept on topic. I completely agree with your comment about how it would be a shame if APUG denigrated to the type of disrespect on other forums but I guess the way I look at it, allowing a disruptive post to derail an entire thread is kind of defeating. If someone posts a less the useful post, great. Let them, but don't allow it to disrupt the conversation and derail a thread as it has done in this case. Thats all I'm saying. To keep the thread on point and allow the disruptive thread to drift off into the past where it belongs seems a better route to me. After all I created this thread to be educational and to provide a document with valuable information for future readers. The detour that this has taken has occurred countless times before in countless other threads and nothing new has been said in response to the disruptive comment. Its simply an unnecessary distraction in my humble opinion. Either way, my question has been answered and I got the information I was looking for. Where this thread goes from here is up to the rest of you. Thanks to everyone for contributing valuable information and helping me out! It is very much appreciated!
    Francesco Fragomeni
    www.FrancescoFragomeni.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agree with Bruce. I care. The degree of mutual respect and civility normally extended on APUG by and between participants far exceeds most other online venues. It's one of the more visible signs of what makes this a different community from the others. While nobody likes to be insulted, setting a larger precedent by simply accepting it bodes ill for the future.

I'll leave everyone to continue discussing the fast Nikkors. I really do enjoy my old 55mm f/1.2, even though it has been superceded by better versions. Just learn to compose without placing pinpoint light sources on the edges of the frame and you'll mostly dodge the severe coma issues entirely.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ilike this post because I've learned alot of things.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragomeni View Post
    I'm somewhat surprised that Nikon never made a faster lens with Canon producing the f0.95 and Leica's f1 Noctilux (not to mention the current f0.95 version). Lets not let this spiral into a conversation about people's opinions of those lenses. There are some that love them and some that don't, nuff said. Are there any f-mount lenses made by other manufactures that exceed Nikon's f1.2 limit? I'm not talking about modifying lenses here, I mean lenses made by third party manufactures specifically for the Nikon f-mount.
    I would just like to correct you on the above: The Canon f/0.95 and the Noctilux are both rangefinder lenses (not SLR lenses). Both have terrible resolution wide-open compared to the Noct-Nikkor 58mm f/1.2 - I don't think Nikon saw the need to make a faster standard lens for SLRs. Nikon did make a 50mm f/1.1 for the Nikon S-series rangefinders in the 1950s to compete.

Other than standard lenses, Nikon has made some very exotic high-speed Macro and special purpose lenses, such as the (standard F-mount) 85mm f/1.0 Repor-Nikkor, which, at f/1.0 (!!), features 0.0% distortion, 0% vignetting, and 200LP/mm resolution across the frame. This (and other lenses in the Ultra-Micro-Nikkor series) feature optical performance that almost push the boundaries of what is physically possible, but at immense cost.

I suspect the all-time fastest Nikkor lens is the TV-Nikkor 35mm f/.0.9, which also fits f-mount cameras, but which is not really suitable for general-purpose photography (it projects a tiny 12mm image circle, and is optimised for non-visible wavelengths of light). It is F-mount though :-)

Other exotics include even a 300mm f/1.4 Ultra-Micro-Nikkor macro lens that was almost diffraction-limited wide open. Good luck ever finding any of these!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had one of my F3 bodies attached to a 300 f/2 Nikkor lens for one roll of film, which took about 2 minutes to go through.

I was at a motor racing circuit with a hired Nikkor 600 f/5.6, alongside was another fella with a Nikkor 600 f/4 when another fella turned up with a 300 f/2 and a 1.4 converter attached, which turned his 300 into a 420mm f/2.8.

During a break it transpired that the 600 f/4 fella had a 2x Nikkor converter, the 300 f/2 was converted to become a 600 f/4.

Effectively we had two 600 f/4’s and one 600 f/5.6 all alongside each other. The 600 f/5.6 was the lightest by far, the 300 f/2 was the heaviest, or at least felt the heaviest of the three, as a standard 300. Converting it to either a 420 or a 600 did add bulk (length mainly) but not too much extra noticeable weight.

I had hired the 600 f/5.6 for about $150 in total, for a weekend hire.

The 600 f/4 owner had, to my knowledge, sold a relatively expensive automobile, downsized to a cheap one and bought his lens with the left over money.

The 300 f/2 owner had been in the newspapers as the first purchaser of that lens in this country, I believe it took about 8 months after ordering to get it. It was a decision of whether to purchase a house or the lens.

I next saw the 300 f/2 at the Australian Los Angeles Olympic weight lifting trials, held in Melbourne. Virtually all of us were sitting around the weight lifting in a semi circle on the floor, with most of us using either an 85 or 105 focal length. During a break I spied the Nikkor 300 f/2 owner standing to one side on a chair and using a monopod and his 300. He got the money shot, his picture was on the front page around the country the next day.

Positively brilliant lens, realistically one of the fastest lens Nikon made for the 35mm format, if you account for the focal length.

Mick.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin