Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,709   Posts: 1,482,886   Online: 1042

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksond View Post
    I just traded my Nikon 24-120G for a 1.8/50 and a 2.8/28
    That's funny... I *just* received my 24-120G from B&H. I bought it refurbished for $310. I thought it was light, convenient, and reasonably priced. Tested it real quick, and I am liking what I am seeing. I am seriously wondering why this lens is reviewed so badly almost universally.

If OP is still undecided, I don't hesitate to recommend this one. Keep in mind, this is a G lens.... so it doesn't work with all bodies.

I am more and more convinced, what's good is subjective and personal.... sure, we can measure technical characteristics but in real world, the best or the worst doesn't really translate to great or poor photographs.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wider is better.

I used to be a long lens freak, until I realized you can't print it if it's not on the negative.

- Leigh

Shooter
    35mm
    This is impossible to answer as people like or tolerate different FLs, especially at the wide end. The best thing would be to borrow or rent some lenses for a week or two and see how they feel.

I personally have never shot anything wider than 24 until last week when, for the heck of it, I took a Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 and put it on F100. I bet you could see a bunch of exclamation and question marks above my head when I looked through that viewfinder, I almost got lost there. I'll keep it just to see if I can develop some kind of feeling for it, though I am not an optimist. It surely is fun at the moment, but I haven't made a single picture that's worth keeping yet.
    I believe 24 is widest that you can still use as a "normal" or "standard" lens, i.e. without turning your picture into 45% sky, 45% parking lot and 10% of something in between that is very hard to see because it's damn far. For me, 20mm already requires attention to the foreground and generally different approach to composition.
    Again, this is all highly individual so you may find this entirely false and call me an idiot, so you'd better find some wides and take them out for a walk.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like wide angle lenses. I have a 24, 17, and a 15 Fisheye, love them all!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    The 24-120G is a good lens. At my dealer's we compared the new and older G's at both ends of the range. The only real difference was that the newer one had a bit more contrast. This was shooting jpeg with a D3s. I just found mine too bulky. I didn't trade it because of quality issues.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    My favourite combination is 24mm, 35mm and 85mm. But the emphasis needs to be on the fact that that is my favourite.
    Your combination is also my favorite. I use a 24mm f/2, 35mm f/1.4, and an 85mm f/1.8.

My second favorite is an 18mm f/3.5, 28mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, and 105mm f/2.5 (or 105mm f/2.8 macro).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin