Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,454   Posts: 1,570,504   Online: 1040

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    The 500si and 404si are poor cameras whose only redeeming feature is they're available for small change. The autofocus doesn't, basically and the lenses are expensive because they fit later models. If you have a spare lens and use them on manual focus they are cheaper than a disposable and weigh little more. If you're looking for AF with a kit zoom the batteries will run out before the lens finishes hunting for focus and won't allow you to press the shutter until it has.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My first Minolta camera was the 800si. As a result bought the 9000(used)a brilliant solid model, and easy to use; Since then have bought the Dynax 7, and that is a great camera. Managed to get a Dynax 9 in the last few weeks and it came with the VC-9 grip, and what an eye-opener. Have read about it over the years; have seen comparison tests in UK photo magazines; and I have the original Minolta brochure for the camera. Kept looking at it over the years, and eventually my dream came true. One comparison test marked down the 9 due to its heaviness, yet in the same article it was pitted against the Nikon F5, and that was heavier than the 9. I can only assume that Nikon 'heaviness' is not as heavy as Minolta 'heaviness.'!!!!
    Go for the Dynax 9 or 7 and you will not be disappointed.

Shooter
    35mm
    He finally got the Minolta Maxxum 9xi. I played with it this weekend, and in my opinion it is an incredible camera.
    It feels great. Any opinions on the 9xi?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have not got the 9xi, but still keep looking at them to add one to my 'stable' of Minoltas. Probably will go after one, eventually. There were a number of them on ebay last year, but at the moment the 9xi's have disappeared. If your friend starts saving then he wants to aim for the Dynax 9. It is an absolute beauty. I got one (used)last year for £175, and that included the VC9 grip. There was also another 9 with the grip in a charity shop in the UK, for £70, and someone was asking if he should splash out that amount(!!) for a second hand camera. After our postings and comments he went and bought it, and has never regretted it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    The 500si and 404si are poor cameras whose only redeeming feature is they're available for small change. The autofocus doesn't, basically and the lenses are expensive because they fit later models. If you have a spare lens and use them on manual focus they are cheaper than a disposable and weigh little more. If you're looking for AF with a kit zoom the batteries will run out before the lens finishes hunting for focus and won't allow you to press the shutter until it has.
    I'd dispute this. My 500si was the family camera for years and years and then we went APS, so it sat in a cupboard before I found it. (Anyone remember APS?) It's my throw-in-the-bag-with-all-my-other-crap camera, and although I grant you it's a bit basic, the focus isn't all that bad and I've had some really great pics from mine. Also, lenses aren't that costly, I found an AF 28-80 for £10 in a charity shop a little while ago, not a mark on it beneath the dust, and the colours I get from it are great!

Don't get me wrong, if the money's there I'd go with a Dynax 7 in a heartbeat, I just don't think the humble 500si deserves that much of a bashing.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am still extremely impressed with the 9xi. It is an amazing camera. I might get one myself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience with the Minolta 9000i in 1987-1988 was good (took it with me bushwalking to many places) but it didn't really go well with my small hands. It was a bit fiddly to use but got the job done and often started conversations with its "future look". The lenses of that era seemed mediocre with none of the images standing up to later records shot on Nikon or Canon. An old friend in the country still has and uses a Minolta SRT101, which he first used in the 1970s to shoot Trooping the Colour in the UK (and still has Kodachrome 25 slides of the parade). Goodness knows how old the camera is but he will not part with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I can't believe I haven't posted on this thread!

Ever since I sold my Ricoh KR5 Super in the early 90's I have used Minolta AF SLR's. At the moment, I have 6 AF bodies in my possession - Actually, all I need is a 7xi and I would have a full house of the 7 series.

In all honesty, the only one I don't really feel a lot of love for is my 7000. This was gifted to me around 12 months ago and I put one roll of film through it. Exposures were inconsistent, but then again, that could be due to a fault (& age!).

As for the others (of the 7 series) - they all hold a place in my heart. My 7000i I bought when travelling in the UK (I bought it second hand from a shop around the Finchley area in London) as my 303 broke. I loved that camera - its what I would call 'solid'. I was gifted a 700si a few years ago - this was the camera I couldn't afford to buy when I bought my 303...and someone gave it to me for the cost of postage! As for the newest one in the stable, the 7 - well, it was as good as modern film SLR's ever got - a lot of the convenience of digital (as well as the ability to take the modern SSM lenses), but it shoots film - actually, if I had to recommend a Minolta AF camera - seriously, get the 7. Its a killa!

Cheers

Shooter
    35mm
    The 5 is so underrated. can easily buy for <$20 Tiny tiny with good bright view finder. easy to carry. Brackets which is a big thing for me.

7 is I think the best as far as traditional measures go. Very modern terrific feel can take ssm lenses which sony is making now.

Shooter
    35mm
    With a ride from this thread, I ask, what is the closest minolta to the dynax 7? I am also on the look for a pro model af body, but the dynax 7 is expensive for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin