Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,667   Online: 967

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mbsmith View Post
    I have a Sea Life Sportdiver (rated to 50m) that I let the kids use in the pool that is very affordable (basically just a p&s with a tough underwater case) and takes reasonably good photos. They make several models with accessory shoe that might also be an option if you don't go the Nikonos direction.
    The maintenance on a sea life or Sea&Sea is far more DIY than it is on the Nikonos, like I said, the Nikonos is a great camera, top of the line in fact and I own two of them and really love them, but keeping them in ready to use condition is a lot of work and expensive. Unless you are a diver or plan to take hundreds of underwater photos get something that costs less to maintain. Yes, you will compromise features, but you will get more out of it than if you start with the Nikonos. Whatever camera you get you will need to get an orange filter for it as well unless you want an unbearable blue shift in your photos.

If you want to understand what I am talking about as far as work you have to do to keep a Nikonos ready to use check out this link http://www.southern-nikonos.com/niko...hopseries.html Bob can come across as gruff, but he knows what he is talking about.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    If you want to understand what I am talking about as far as work you have to do to keep a Nikonos ready to use check out this link http://www.southern-nikonos.com/niko...hopseries.html Bob can come across as gruff, but he knows what he is talking about.
    Wow, they sound like a PITA. I am glad I don't use mine for serious underwater work. I would never be able to keep up with the maintenance. I use it as a "built-like-a-brick-outhouse" camera that I don't mind getting wet or banging around, and I take it underwater in the mountains and such, or sometimes in a friend's pool.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like I said, best dive camera ever made, and if you want to go below 30 feet this is the only camera you want, but the maintenance is a killer.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    If all you want is a kayak camera get a II.
    I did have a Nikonos II but sold it. The V has a built-in meter, the II doesn't.

Jim B.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin