Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,833   Online: 856

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Which Nikonos Model?

Which Nikonos model would be the best to get? Is the Nikonos IV-A with the 35mm good? I plan to use it for underwater artsy stuff. :P But not deep diving. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Being a kayaker, I had the same questions as you when I decided to buy a waterproof camera. I was told that the Nikonos IV-A had some electronic problems so ended up buying the Nikonos V. I've had this camera for over ten years now with no problems. It takes good pictures above water too.

Jim B.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The IV-A and the V are both really good cameras, but if you plan to use it underwater you might want to get the V because finding someone to do the service on the IV-A is getting harder and harder.

Remember service on one of these cameras is going to run you about $150 on top of the purchase price. I just had both of mine serviced and pressure tested for the season and it ran me over $400 between service, accessory service, and spare parts that I needed for the season, that was for the pair. I really love my Nikonos cameras and I get a lot of use out of them, but I am a diver, I take them deep, and I am also willing to pay for the service, and do the between service cleaning. Yes it is physically demanding and your body aches when you are done cleaning the camera after salt water use.

Kodak and Fuji make nice disposable underwater cameras for about $15 test your ideas with one of these before you get into a Nikonos system, while they are great cameras I would not recommend them for someone that is just going to take a couple of hundred photos in shallow water. They also make budget 35mm cameras with flash in waterproof cases that can be reloaded at reasonable prices.

Good luck
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Get a V.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    35mm
    If comparing only the IV-a and the V I think the V is definitely better. The II and III may have some features that the newer ones don't

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you want one of the older ones, the III is the one to get, because it can take a modern strobe system. The II I think may be able to use electronic strobe with modification, but it is definitely not TTL. The II was made in the days of flash bulbs (yes, there were underwater flashes that used flash bulbs). I don't think the III is TTL flash either, but it can sync with the Nikonos flash units using the stock connectors. NOT that I recommend flooding a Nikonos III, but if it does flood, if you deal with it in a timely fashion, you can probably salvage the camera. Flood a V and it will be toast for sure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    Kodak and Fuji make nice disposable underwater cameras for about $15 test your ideas with one of these before you get into a Nikonos system, while they are great cameras I would not recommend them for someone that is just going to take a couple of hundred photos in shallow water. They also make budget 35mm cameras with flash in waterproof cases that can be reloaded at reasonable prices.
    I have a Sea Life Sportdiver (rated to 50m) that I let the kids use in the pool that is very affordable (basically just a p&s with a tough underwater case) and takes reasonably good photos. They make several models with accessory shoe that might also be an option if you don't go the Nikonos direction.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another decent camera (without interchangeable prime lenses, but does have accessory lenses) is the Sea & Sea MX-10 with the YS-40a flash, or the MotorMarine II. Both are a lot less expensive than the Nikonos, and still take great photos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If all you want is a kayak camera get a II.
    Stay away from the III as most used ones will have a cracked plate or you will crack it.
    I have a V... VI's and V's have many of the same issues if flooded...
    Buy what you can find at the price you want... KEH has a nice selection.
    This guy on e-bay is a straight shooter and doesn't sell junk.
    http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ibeendivin
    Artsy underwater... I would expect you will want a 20mm
    PS I actually use these things.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the very helpful replies. I haven't looked at the disposable underwater ones, I guess the best course of action is to try them both, I only looked so far at KEH, and the only model I remember is the IV-A. My shots will be mostly on saltwater, and a few on freshwater ( I can't swim in pools, my skin gets irritated). I will look up that link in Ebay.

As for the lens, 20-28mm is what I'm after, or 35 can be also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin