Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,892   Posts: 1,520,864   Online: 1182

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All EOS-1N and 1V cameras have the lockup in the custom function. Some later but lesser (non-pro) cameras do too, I find this is a good site for checking the custom functions of the various Canon EOS cameras, e.g. here for the 10S which has lockup plus a unique intervalometer function and the ability to use unperforated film:
    http://photonotes.org/manuals/eos-10s/

Comparison of the 1, 1N, 3 and 1V:
    http://www.photonotes.org/reviews/1-1N-3-1V/

I have the EOS 1N RS too which uses a pellicle mirror so no need for mirror lockup And 10fps drive.

If you want movements however, for the cost of a 24mm TSE you could easily get yourself into large format photography!
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    All EOS-1N and 1V cameras have the lockup in the custom function. Some later but lesser (non-pro) cameras do too, I find this is a good site for checking the custom functions of the various Canon EOS cameras, e.g. here for the 10S which has lockup plus a unique intervalometer function and the ability to use unperforated film:
    http://photonotes.org/manuals/eos-10s/

Comparison of the 1, 1N, 3 and 1V:
    http://www.photonotes.org/reviews/1-1N-3-1V/

I have the EOS 1N RS too which uses a pellicle mirror so no need for mirror lockup And 10fps drive.

If you want movements however, for the cost of a 24mm TSE you could easily get yourself into large format photography!
    Good point, which I completely overlooked: the 1N RS is hands down the best EOS camera for macro work.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone that is helpful. I think I could get used to the custom function thing (although it does sound pretty annoying compared to just having a mechanical switch or level (given it is a mechanical function).

Regarding the EOS 1N, you mean the mirror is simply fixed in place? (so no mirror slap issues?)

HPulley, regarding large format, I do large format already. This would just be a way for me to get an excellent 24mm lens for my 35mm work - and tilt/shift in 35mm is always a great feature (although not one I would consider as useful with 24mm as in the longer focal lengths, and the Nikkors I have are excellent). I'm not sure though how you can really say you can get into large format for $2,000 (the price of the Canon lens). I mean, you can, but to get say a 4x5, a few lenses, film holders etc for that price, you'd be pretty much settling for "beater" gear that would probably be more trouble than it is worth. Large format is damn expensive if you want good stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

It is only one special model of the 1N – the 1N RS. Yes, the image passes through the fixed pellicle mirror, and part of it is bounced up to the viewfinder.

I'm not sure exactly how much this affects sharpness, viewfinder brightness, or light loss. Probably negatively on all three counts. I'm also not sure that you can get the camera in compact form, without the motor drive. It may have been a built-in unit on the RS model, since the whole point of the pellicle mirror on that camera was to allow for high frame rates.

It was a modern version of Canon's old FL mount Pellix from the '60's.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The RS model only came with the motordrive/powerpack attached permanently - no compact option, but smaller than the previous FD F1n 14fps version. Don't forget the EOS RT; early EOS camera with fixed pellicle mirror - that is compact.

As far as I remember the light loss was about 2/3 stop at thee film plane, might be wrong though.

Sim2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2 View Post
    The RS model only came with the motordrive/powerpack attached permanently - no compact option, but smaller than the previous FD F1n 14fps version. Don't forget the EOS RT; early EOS camera with fixed pellicle mirror - that is compact.

As far as I remember the light loss was about 2/3 stop at thee film plane, might be wrong though.

Sim2.
    Hadn't heard of the RT. Sounts like THAT is the best, not the 1N RS. I'll bet they are cheaper than dirt, too.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting. Thanks guys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin